xantia trailing arm nightmare

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

anders means by bearing seat where outer race fits in arm not outer race itself,myself i have not seen one damaged where bearing fit in arm,usuly only where seal fits regards malcolm
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Anders,
I re-read what you typed. Yeah I understand what your saying [:)] I have a problem where I tend to quickly scan what's written rather than reading fully [:o)] [V] .....
seeya,
Shane l.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think we all suffer that prob from time to time shane,i call it my dislecsic moments regards malcolm
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

I guess a lot of this is dependent on whether you are referring to the arm or the bearing. The hardened rings of a bearing are usually referred to as races, the inner being the smaller, and the outer being the larger.
Of course when looking at it from the point of view of the arm, the bearing outer race goes innermost on the arm, and so can often get called the inner seat. Makes sense I guess, but isn't correct in terms of the bearing.
This image, and it's wording:
is actually correct, if you substiture the word "race" for "ring"
It also throws up another question. Where are people putting grease nipples in these? it would appear that there is only a very small area between the oil seal and the bearing outer race that you can put it, in order for the grease to be inside the plastic tube, but outside the inner metal tube.
Which also throws up a question about drilling and cross-drilling the through-bolt. How does the grease get from inside the metal tube to outside it (and inside the plastic one)? This must mean you have to drill the metal tube too, but you have no guarantee that the holes in the bolt and the hole in the metal tube will line up.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Dear Friend,
I change the bearing recently, and I´m still not sure if I gave them the right preload. As far as I know adding more shims the preload is increased, but how can I know when it is enough? I did it by experience, not to tight but not having play.
Do you or someone know a better way to get the right adjust ?
regards from a non native english spoken.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Mark I have a set of arms and all there relivant parts here would they be any use to you ? there off a 1994 VSX they have callipers disks etc. Andy
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Hi Andy
Thanks very much for your offer but we've decided to try and use the original arms, as it seems from what everyone has said here that the chewed up section is just the outer rim and the actual weight is carried through the bearings. The outer rim only seemd to have been chewed up by the bearings collapsing and then the weight being transfered. We are going to fit a new bearing kit using chem. metal or something like it to round off the damaged area as per previous posts. Fingers crossed!
The supplier of the 2nd hand items originally sent the wrong arms and did send another set saying they would collect the others. However, the replacement set are just as chewed as my originals so I called them and they promised to send another set and collect the others (which they hadn't) I heard nothing more and I rang them yesterday, they can't find a set that isn't chewed up and they are now going to issue a refund and collect the 2 sets they delivered. (We shall see!)
The main problem seems to be that the arms fitted to a 1994 "L" Xantia are very specific as they don't have ABS and judging by the first arms the supplier sent they also has smaller rear discs, calipers and a different "bar" that attaches between them (I think it's a torsion bar?), so it seems easier to repair the existing arms rather than have to remove and refit calipers etc.
Thanks everyone I will post when done (Fingers crossed again)
Mark
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

do these 'earlier' arms have any writing on them? I'd speculate that they are infact BX arms, so replacement should be reasonably easy, but the writing on the originals (or even a picture) would give the game away!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I understand that the estate arms are different to the hatch arms, and the ABS are different from non ABS too but I don't think the Xantia shares any arms with the BX, but still thats 4 different types of arms (8 if you think about them being left and right hand side).
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

They must be fairly similar as the part number for the repair kit is the same for BX and for Xantia. Possibly differences at the wheel end rather than the mounting end though.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

My Xantia arms are a quite different shape from BX ones, although the bearings are the same.