Sump bolt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

Sump bolt

Post by druist »

I went into Halfords and asked for a sump nut for my Xantia 1995 LX TDS. He tapped away on his computer and said he had no part number for it. There appears to be 4 types and they all look the same. He said can i bring my old one in - um not really as i am driving the car. The old one leaks and the hex bit is all damaged due to incorrect undoing by previous owner.
Anyone know the part number or any more details.?
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

if its anything like the ZX, there are different sorts. The one on my TD has a hex head, with no insert. A mates car has a round head with a square insert, and Ive also seen round ones with Hex inserts. Since its pretty much the same engine on the Xantia as the ZX, your guess is as good as mine. I do know however (correct me if im wrong) that there are only 2 types of thread on the sump of the XUD so 4 different designs, may only have 2 different threads (a large one and a small one). IF it helps, yours *should* have a diameter of 14mm....
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

i'm pretty sure that the bolt is only a few quid from the dealer anyway
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I tried to replace the sump bolt on my 1994 Xantia 2.0i, after rounding it off using the correct size socket (23mm). It's a rare 14mm thread, and nuffin came of the attempt to replace it.
So when I finally got it off, I carefully ground the hex faces to the next size down (22mmAF). The head on the plug is so thin that half of it doesn't engage the inside of the socket properly, so, to avoid the same problem occurring again, I ground the chamfer off the mouth of my 22mm socket, so the inside is straight all the way. No further problems.
druist

Post by druist »

mine is pretty much rounded as i think i made things much worse when i took it off.
So it there no part number or anything i can just give?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The answer is to go to a proper spares shop rather than Halfords!!
Tell them what it looks like,if there's more than one type they will then most likely show you the ones they stock. Its always easier to tell from the real thing than a computer screen. If there's more than one thread size, as Wilkobob says, then most decent spares shops will sell you both and refund the one it isn't.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The answer you want is in this thread - Jon's posting gives official Citroen prices - http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3854
Jeremy
druist

Post by druist »

bxbodger they had 4 of them on display - they all looked similar. though i will try a citroen dealer as stated the jeremy's thread.
ps i hate halfords anyway, well overpriced, staff have little knowledge.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

14mm spark plug (used) would do the job. In true cowboy style used an old spark plug on a MiniMetro once (albeit temporoary like).
Cries of Yeeee Harrr!
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I like the sound of that Marty, I can hear the sound of bay racers up and down the land frantically screwing spark plugs into their sumps as the latest car fashion accessory!!!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My old engine had a big nut welded onto the drainplug, great, easy to remove, then I was turning around in the car park at work, old kerbstone just high enough to reach the nut, only touched it, big split in the sump, oil all over the place and yes I had changed the oil only the evening before, thirteen quids worth of semi synthetic mopped up with a spill kit. How did I get home?? chemical metal.
Stewart
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Not sure here, but if the sump plug requires a square key would a domestic radiator spanner for the top plugs not fit?
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Adding to the anti Halfords campaign, I did an oil change on my ZX last night and only had access to Halfrauds for a new sump plug. I followed their plastic car part guide, got the part, got it home, drained the oil...............bugger didn't fit!!
A waisted trip and couple of quid.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The 4-cylinder versions of the Xantia have a sump plug with a 14x1.25 thread (1.25 is the pitch). The V6 however has a 16x1.5 plug. The 14mm plug comes in various guises; external hex, internal square (8mm I've been told) and a combination of both internal and external. The 16mm plugs that I have come across have all had a wierd size inset - an 8mm is definitely too big, so I have ground down a 1/2" to 3/8" converter so that it fits snuggly. If anyone has found a source for a 16x1.5 plug with an external hex I'd dearly like to get hold of one - I must say that even with my modified adapter fitting snuggly, it's a hell of a torque required to undo the plug using that pittance to a square hole in that bloody great plug.
//NiSk
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by druist</i>

bxbodger they had 4 of them on display - they all looked similar. though i will try a citroen dealer as stated the jeremy's thread.
ps i hate halfords anyway, well overpriced, staff have little knowledge.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I got a sump plug for my Xantia 1.9TD from Halfords, they told me they didn't stock them for the Xantia so I asked for one for a Peugeot 306 1.9TD of the same year and it fitted the Xantia perfectly.
The first person I asked in Halfords said
"Whats the sump? Is it where the oil goes?" !!