Xantia tyre spec

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

Xantia tyre spec

Post by meexi »

Hi,
Here`s a strange one, The speed rating on my Xantia door plate says that i should be useing 205/60/15 H but H rating is suitable for up to 130mph can i use T rating up to 118mph or will i have a problem with insurance if i ever have to make a claim?
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

well i suppose technically the tyres shouldnt be doing any more than 77 mph anyway
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

To be pedantic, the tyres shouldn't be doing more than 70mph. BUT what happens if you go abroad? Or on private roads?
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hiya,
I asked this question of my local friendly traffic police department a few years ago ( yes they do exist), the answer was simply you drive to match the lowest speed rating of any tyre fitted, at the time I was enquiring about remoulds (yeh I know it's a bad word but it was a long time ago and I needed 4 all at the same time)
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

if your car can theoretically do more than 118mph (judging by tyre size i think it can)then you must have h rated or your insurance will technically become invalid.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

i have heard of insurance becoming invalid due to tyres being 185's instead of 195's so i strongly suspect that they could kick off if if you put a lower rated tyre on???
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cornishbx16v</i>

i have heard of insurance becoming invalid due to tyres being 185's instead of 195's so i strongly suspect that they could kick off if if you put a lower rated tyre on???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mine states 185's on the door plate but is fitted with 195's any ideas as to why[?]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Perhaps a previous owner has upgraded the tyres, some Xantias have 185s, where as others have 195s, 205s even 215s.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Insurance companies are generally ar5seh0les when it comes to this sort of thing. If you fit anything other than standard equipement to a car, and you haven't told them, then *techincally* your insurance is invalid. I'm never sure what the limit of this is. What if you fit cheaper tyres that aren't as good as the originals? is this a modification? Same goes for changing the interior colour (eg to a leather interior) is this a modification?
I went completely over the top one year, and told the insurance company EVERY SINGLE mod to my landrover: it took 3 pages of bullet points! They were only really interested in the engine.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

205/60/r15 are rated for this car and top of the range " 1999 Xantia HDI 110bhp estate ", T/H are high spec/speed tyres and will be ok on the car because they are over rated for the car, they just make it handle better,