Tyre replacements

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Just bought 4 Avons for my Xsara using the deal at National Tyres. £144 inc fitting. Can't lose, can you? And they're British made.
They're quieter than the Continental eco-contacts I replaced, but then they were worn. I would have only replaced the fronts, but one of the rear Contis was splitting around the edge of the tread, despite their being lots of tread still on it.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Hey Sgould, Years ago a mate of mine took his GS to KwikFit for his front exhaust pipes to be changed, now bearing in mind it was a flat 4 engine with a metal underpan, they took 4 days to do it because they couldn't find 2 of the bolts that enable the underpan to come off and turn it into a 20 minute job [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

blooming heck,
After recent practice with 3 different cars 2 GSA's and a FS can do engine in and out in about 6 hours now :-)
It would be easier to take the undertray off to do the exhaust on a G (in fact almost impossible without it off)
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="red"><i>GS to KwikFit for his front exhaust pipes to be changed, now bearing in mind it was a flat 4 engine with a metal underpan, they took 4 days to do it because they couldn't find 2 of the bolts that enable the underpan to come off and turn it into a 20 minute job</i></font id="red">
Would they be the two that ran front to back and screwed into the main bodyshell first having gone through a lug on the back end of each of the box-section arms which came off the undertray... first time I took the tray off mine and refitted it, noticed that these bolts were missing so went and found two that fitted.... somewhat fiddly, but got them fixed ok in the end.... only to be told later that these two got fitted at the factory but once off were usually never put on again.
p20

Post by p20 »

If your near costco, it could be worth joining. They sell michelin tyres cheaply. I've just had two Primacys 205/60/15 v rated for £134. They only accept cash or debit cards though.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Ive found ATS own make very good . Never dissapoints , Good in all conditions.long lasting
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

I've ran Michelin Energy's on my BX GTi for the last 20k and they've been really good tyres.
Hardly any wear whatsoever on them. Will easily last another 20k. Had Michelin Pilot Sport HX's on my 02 reg Astra SXI with 16inch wheels which again were brilliant wet or dry and lasted. I WILL buy Michelin again even though they aint cheap.
Used to have Falkens on a fiesta with big alloys, they last 12k, the subsequent Avons were loads better.
I've always been told Citroens run better on Michelins, any thoughts?
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ian Fearn</i>

I've always been told Citroens run better on Michelins, any thoughts?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've heard that too. I've used the same tyre fitter for 30 years and he says the same (and he doesn't stock Michelin [:0] .....)
When my first BX (also a GTi) needed fronts I got him to put NCTs on as I was used to them on my previous car (a Lancia HPE Volumex [}:)][}:)] ). They just didn't feel right on the BX. I also tried Uniroyal Rallye something-or-others and they weren't right either. Finally bit the bullet and got him to order some Michelins....
Alan
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I still stand by my Goodyear Hydragrips. £174 for the tyres £16 for the fitting. I've done 10k on them so far. The rears are hardly worn, the fronts are half worn (I'm 24 years old so as you can imagine I'm not that forgiving on the tyres and tend to go quickly round bends[:D]). Before that I had a set of Arrowspeed £150 fitted from kwickfit. Within 10k the fronts were trashed and the grip was rubbish. It's false economy fitting budget tyres but the very top end of the market is also very expensive. Why not get something like the hydragrip which has superb grip, should last even some ideot like me 20k and costs only about 20% more than a budget set.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

My previous tyres where Good Year NCT5 185x60HRx14 on my ZX, which I found the wear rate poor although the grip was ok. But I've had Kuhmo tyres fitted some 12 months and found the wear rate far better and the grip just as good. As I do about 800miles/month and will fit Kuhmo again for the winter around November.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Just got a replacement set of Pirelli 5000 Drago fitted to the front. £35 inc vat and fitting (best tryes hanley, s-o-t) - similar price to black cirlces but would need to get fitted on top = more £.
Car came with selection of non branded tyres (like skid pan when wet, fun but scary also) so had to get a set of four. ended up with Uniroyal raintyre - obviously loads better than budget stuff that was on, but did't grip overly well. had pirellis on previous zx so plumped for them on this one.
Drago have lasted me about 8 months and have worn evenly (est 10k miles). as i drive country lanes, need grip as opposed to longevity) have noted milage so can keep track this time
Was going to try out kumho, but will wait until wear out uniroyal on rear - getting low - so will be able to switch between k'mo and p'lli to see what like.
problem i've got again is that better grip has higlighted now slightly soft suspension in cornering or is that simply due to ability to go round corners faster due to better grip....