Suspension Queries- Assistance required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Waxee

Suspension Queries- Assistance required

Post by Waxee »

This is my first Citroen so dont know how good the suspension should be but judging by the letters here I think I'm missing out on a much better ride.
1. The Hydractive switch doesnt work, ie no light comes on regardless of whether my headlamps are on or off.There is also no change in the ride.
2. The switch when on or off ???? stays at the same height above the surrounding bezel. Is this normal ?
3. I tried the sitting in the boot whilst engine running then again after turning engine off test today. Whilst engine was running the back end compensated for the extra weight, but with engine off, no movement. So which sphere need replacing now ?
4.After turning off the car there is a humming noise from under the car which lasts for approx 15 secs. It also does this when I unlock the car and open one of the doors. Is this normal and what is it ?
Lots of questions and I'm not sure how or if they are relaited.
Any help?..........please
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

1: did you take the switch out and give it a good clean?
2: ???
3: Accumulator sphere (how often does it 'click' with car idling at normal height (don't touch brakes)?
4: I think its the hydractive valves.
Cheers,
Niek
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

2=The switch on mine stays the same height wheather on or off.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

1, Check fuse number 8 in the box behind the battery. Activating the switch merely narrows the perameters which cause the ride to go from soft to firm mode, therefore you will only really be able to notice the difference in ride when negotiating long sweeping bends. If you search this forum you will find a number of posts on this subject.
2, Normal just like the other switches within the car.
3, If the car doesn't rise after turning off then it MAY mean the accumulator sphere requires replacement, how often does the pressure regulator click?
4, This is quite normal, its the Hydractive valves opening in 'Anti-jerk mode' to avoid sudden rises/falls when people/loads are putting weight in/out of the car. Basically the valves open to equalise pressure within the wheel and Hydractive spheres which are isolated from each other once the anti-sink valves are activated.
Waxee

Post by Waxee »

I checked the no8 fuse. It was fine but I took it out anyway to check the contacts. When I put it back there was a click and the humming started. I took that as a good sign ie continuity in circuit. I checked the Hydractive switch. All ok.
I fired up the car and let it settle. Clicking settled at 3second intervals. Took car for a spin to test out brake mod as discussed at length on forum and when I returned clicking was still 3 secs apart.
Do I have two problems, Hydractive and Accumulator speres ? Or could they be linked ?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Three second intervals is far too quick so a new accumulator sphere is required.
As that is the case it may be that all of the spheres are past their best, how does the suspension react when you push down on a wing, it should feel much softer than a car with springs, particularly at the rear.
Waxee

Post by Waxee »

Thanks Richard
I'll go and check the bounce when I can get out the office.
Till later
Waxee

Post by Waxee »

I did the bounce check. Rears were definitly not softer than ordinary cars but there was a bit of rebound. The front was firmer, I would consider 'too hard'
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Waxee</i>

I did the bounce check. Rears were definitly not softer than ordinary cars but there was a bit of rebound. The front was firmer, I would consider 'too hard'
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If you're comming from cars with conventional springs and you think the front is too hard, then it almost certainly is. [:D] It should be quite a bit softer than most other cars...
I'm about 80Kg and if I sit in the boot of a Xantia the suspension will go down about 3-4 inches before lifting me back up. Front will go down about 2-3 inches sitting right at the front (bonnet open) with the same weight. (Just an estimate, I havn't accurately measured it)
Also if it is hydractive 2 there is a hard and soft mode controlled by computer. Switched off and left for 10+ minutes the car reverts to hard mode. If you open a door or turn on the key it should go into soft mode and get noticably softer. (You may also hear a quiet buzz which is the solenoid activating soft mode)
Regards,
Simon