Sphere changing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

prhughes
My Cars:

Sphere changing

Post by prhughes »

I would like to change the 3 rear spheres on my '96 1.9 TD VSX Xantia.
1) Which spheres do I need (Andyspares part numbers).
2) Which removal tool.
3) I'm a novice at car repairs, how do I do it?
Thnaks.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Is it a hydractive version.
Dave
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

sphere removal tool, it's a band wrench
1) you can make you own (its listed on here, if you do a search for the word "sphere removal tool" then you should find it)
2) you can go to http://www.pleiades.uk.com they do one, it's about £30 quid, and very handy to have.
dom
prhughes
My Cars:

Post by prhughes »

It is a hydractive version.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's hydractive, then there should be 4 rear spheres - 2 wheel spheres, the anti-sink sphere and the hydractive sphere. Should be failry obvious which ones to order.
As to changing them, not too bad:
First: DO NOT get under the car UNLESS it is properly supported, lift or pit preferably, but ramps and or stands if not. It can drop suddenly and squash you flat.
Rear on ramps, suspension in high. Crack (1/8th turn only!) the wheel spheres. Depressure the system (engine running, height lever in low, undo the 12mm bolt on the front of the pressure regulator). Remove the old spheres, and make suer the seal comes out. Lube the seal with LHM, fit it to the housing and do up handtight only. Unscrew and remove the other 2 spehres - noting that the anti-sink has a pipe joined to it somewhere (not done this so I don't know the exact details) - I also think you need to order a different seal for this - someone will confirm!. Replace spheres, again hand tight only. tighten bleed screw, lever in high, restart engine, then on level ground re-check the LHM level (in high!). Rears can be a bugger to get off, the £30 for the sphere tool is a good investment apparently.
Richard
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

WOAHH!
I think Richard made an unintentional mistake/omission! DO NOT UNDO THE 12mm SCREW!! just loosen it 1/2 - 1 turn! otherwise you will be grovelling around in the dirt looking for a tiny ball bearing and a long spiral spring!
Otherwise he's got it right!
//NiSk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

NiSk,
Thanks for catching that, saves someone else catching the ball and spring.....
I normally remember, but then it is Monday!
Richard
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Use the online catalogue to find the correct spheres for your particular vehicle, and if you're collecting them from a depot, take the numbers with you. Let's hope it was just a one off when I was given the wrong ones! What part of the country are you in? If it happens to be N.E. Surrey, I have the clamp for removal you could use.