Light knocking sound from n/s suspension.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Light knocking sound from n/s suspension.

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi all,
The last few days I've noticed a slight,what I would call,knocking sound from the nearside supension.It reminds me of the traditional outer cv joint knocking sound that I've had on previous cars.I'd say this was a less pronounced sound and not necessarily a cv joint problem.I say this because on my previous cars the said knocking sound only ever showed itself when the steering was virtually at full lock.On my Xantia the sound appears when I'm on a rh bend and the cars transfers its weight to the nearside of the car.The steering is nowhere near full lock either.Would I be wrong in saying its more likely to be my drop links than the cv joint?I've had a look at the suspension on the said side but I cant spot anything obviously wrong.Everything appears to be tightened.If your opinions are that its more likely to be said drop links would the best way to fit them be with the car sat normally(weight on the supension)?I dont have the facility of a pit to work under the car so whats my best option?
Your opinions will be greatfully recieved.
Thanks Stevie [:)]
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Can only go on a zx but for the price and ease to replace the drop links then i would do these first.....my motoo (spelling?) is if you replace it, its done, so one less problem for you to encounter
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like drop links - and probably worth replacing the nearside one just for elimination purposes if nothing else. They seem to be very variable in lifespan and so its probably not worth doing the other one which may still outlive the new one!
As its on the anti-roll bar you should find you get no noise when both front wheels hit a like across the road (bar relaxed) but when you hit one with the nearside wheel alone you do hear it (you may as well with the offside wheel) as the bar is working.
jeremy