Ax heavy steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Ax heavy steering

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all,
We have an Ax 1.0 Jazz and the steering is getting progressively heavier. The tyers are at correct pressure. Are there any grease points on the car? the tracking is correct, tyres good tread,great car wxcept heavy to steer especially at parking speed.
Any ideas???
Regards
Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Forgive me for asking if the tyres have reasonable tread first - I have noticed that sometimes new tyres seem to lighten the steering.
Otherwise it sounds like siesure of something - but the question is what? First step I suppose is a good inspection - looking for rust stains - also creaks and groans.
I'm not quite sure of AX layout - but imagine it has top and bottom strut bearings, and the ususal rack arrangement. Its probably best to jack it up and break the outer track rod end joints - then you can feel the top/bottom swivels and the steering gear separately.
If its the rack/column - then itsa amatter of trying to work some oil/grease into the appropriate part. There may be a cover on the bottom of the rack at the pinion and you may be able to take this off (be careful - look for shims, thrust plates etc) and work some grease onto the rack teeth etc. You may also be able to get some in through the rack boots (or oil for that matter)
Some years ago I purchased from Draper a hollow needle fastened to a grease nipple which is handy for lubricating sealed joints - inject into the rubber boot. (Look on Draper website)
Jeremy