TU ENGINE OIL LEAK

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

TU ENGINE OIL LEAK

Post by CITMAN »

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY CITROEN PEUGEOT TU SERIES ENGINE BEGINS TO LEAK OIL FROM THE HEADGASKET AT THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE, CAMBELT SIDE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT IS A COMMON FAULT. AS MY ZX 1.4I AND MY FRIENDS PEUGEOT 306 1.4 HAS THIS FAULT.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Citman,
Hello, my brother used to have a Peugeot 106 "Roland Garros" with the 1.4 litre TU engine; that was starting to leak from the corner of the head gasket just above where the alternator is. I also learnt that it is a common problem, but i'm sure i read somewhere that Peugeot do a modified head gasket to cure this.
Regards, Rich.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I had the headgasket changed on zx 1.4i about two years ago because of the oil leak and the fact there was traces of oil in the coolent. And also it has started to leak again.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

XUD's also leak oil at this point when they have aged a bit, its at this point (on xud's anyway) that the oil feed passes to the cylinder head from the block, it is therefore the only place at the head gasket interface that oil is at pressure, so they start to leak there first.
Dave
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

So I am worrying about nothing about the oil leak from the head gasket.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Oil leaks are usually just an anoyance as it ends up on you driveway, it will seldom cause any other damage, if the leak is heavy and frequent topping up is required then it really needs sorting.
Unfortunately because the gasket is failing and allowing oil to the outside, it can also fail internally and allow oil to get into the water channels, and water to get into the oil gallery when the engine is stopped, which is bad news because bearing's don't like to be lubricated with water.
If the leak isn't bad then keep a close eye on the coolant for oil contamination and let it ride, if you see evidence of oil in the water get it sorted quickly.
Dave
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I had a 205 Diesel that started weeping there at around 90K miles - didn't seem to really lose any quantity of oil but it was a noticeable stain - was still doing it when I sold the car recently at 197K miles.....
spanners

Post by spanners »

continous oil leaks on engines are not a good thing as it drips down front of engine it eventually gets blown back resting on water hoses which do not react well to prolonged contact with oil and will soften and eventually blow the same can be said for a load ao rubber components e.g engine mount, bottom arm bushes, so better to have repaired.