Xantia running cooler, but why?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia running cooler, but why?

Post by CitroJim »

I can't explain this. I changed my water pump today on the Xantia. It was the original, 170,000 miles old (!). Previously, despite a cooolant change about a month ago and a good flush and blow out of dead insects in the rad and intercooler it always ran at a point just below 80 degrees on the temperature gauge. It was keen to climb higher too when at a standstill.
Now the gauge sits rock steady on 70 degrees... Never ever has it done that..
More efficient new pump or have I dislodges a very stubborn air-lock?
The old pump appeared fine and very similar to the new one. I'm a bit mystified...
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Seems a bit low. How long has the car been yours? I ask because it has all the symptoms of a low-value thermostat being fitted (perhaps to cure a previous overheating problem)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rbruce1314</i>

Seems a bit low. How long has the car been yours? I ask because it has all the symptoms of a low-value thermostat being fitted (perhaps to cure a previous overheating problem)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Only had it about 3 months. I noticed it was a bit hot as soon as I had it, coming straight from a 405TD, a reading of around 70 seems normal for those so I thought same with the Xant. The rad was initially well bunged with debris though but although initially cleaning the matrix helped, it did not "cure" it totally. I'm not worried about a low-value thermostat as I tow so any cooling help it has the better... Where should the gauge sit?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My guess is that the thermostat has failed and shoulkd be replaced. If your is still the original I think you will find it marked at somewhere around 90 C and the replacement will be a lower value - around 83 C. Apparently the spec was changed.
Make sure you get the correct washer/'O' ring to fit it with. ZX needs a thick one - and when I did ours the new thermostat came with a thin one!
You can test the thermostat reasonably well by starting the engine and seeing if there is a suden increase in temp of the top hose when the stat opens. If it gets warm instantly the chances are the stat has gone.
jeremy
jeremy