Xantia starting / rev couunter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

splat

Xantia starting / rev couunter

Post by splat »

Hi, my '97 Xantia 1.9TD has recently developed yet another intermittent problem. About every third or fourth time I start the car the rev counter flicks momentarily up to about 500rpm a few times while I'm waiting for the glowplug light to go out. When this happens the car won't start the first time I turn the key. It cranks fine but doesn't fire. I've kept it cranking for as long as I dare (probably about 20 turns) but no joy. If I turn the key back to the off position then crank again it fires up immediately. The car normally starts on the first crank.
I don't really care whether the rev counter works properly or not but I do kind of like the car to start reliably. I can't imagine how a fault with the rev counter/sensor/wiring would affect starting - could it? Or could it be that the non-start fault is affecting the rev counter?
The car has the Bosch pump and the sort of 'half management' ECU which I believe can alter the injection timing a bit.
splat

Post by splat »

Well, the problem seems to have just gone away. I forgot to mention that another long standing problem of it running at cold start tickover all the time disappeared at the same time the above problem appeared, I am reassured to find that the high tickover has returned. Much better for crawling in traffic.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It sounds like the crankshaft position sensor is giving trouble - maybe it only does it on hot days - watch it return when the weather warms up again....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it could be the imoberliser module on rear of fuel pump as they do go intermitent,or stop solanoid,if it is the imob they are about £170 squid but you can bypass it find a live feed that is only live all time ignition is is on like on glow plug timer box,conect it to shut off solanoid regards malcolm