Hydraflushing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chrispy
My Cars:

Hydraflushing

Post by Chrispy »

Hi Guys,
I've been doing a few searches and can't seem to find anything that tells you how to hydraflush. What is the full procedure for this and where can I buy hydraflush? Do I bleed the brakes too with hydraflush and how long do I leave it in?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Hydraflush goes in the system for 1000 miles, the brakes need bleeding too, to get as much of the old LHM out of the system as possible. The same has to be done to get the hydraflush out again when you've finished flushing.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

I take it the hydraflush is like a kind of cleaning brake fluid then? I'm tempted to have a go at it as my system has a few quirks I'm sure it'll fix. Hopefully it'll be cheaper than LHM too as that's £5 odd for a litre! Just gotta grease my front struts too....they're a tad sticky judging by the way the front rises and falls in jerks.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Hydraflush cleans out the little nooks and crannies in the hydro system. Both available here:
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi guys, sorry to bring the question up again but following many searches and many checks I have concluded that I need to hydraflush the beloved Xantia. As Chrispy asks, because I wouldnt know where to start, is there an idiots guide or a written procedure anywhere to do this? Thanks.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Take the LHM reservoir out and clean it and it's filters. You can find a better and detailed explanation on a search on this subject.
The, you fill the system up with hydraclean, liek you would do with LHM.
Then, put the suspension fully up, and with someone inside the car to press the brakes (or a stick on between the pedal and the seat[;)]), open the brake bleed nipples until the color changes from green to orange (hydraclean's color).
Do this on every brake nipple.
Be carefull NEVER to stand under the car. It's never enough to warn on this subject.
Ride the car as usual for some 1.000 miles, and do the procedure again, but this time topen up with LHM. Done!
---------------------------------------
Fixed the mileage. thanks[;)]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

your only meant to leave it in system for 1000 UK miles regards malcolm
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Safe to 3000 Km actually and I observe the rule of thumb that 2000 miles is the right time. Any more and it will cause the lubrication to break down.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

About a months driving for me then.[:(]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If you have hydraulic components to change anyway, is it recommended to do a hydraflush before or after changing them?
IE is the hydraflush lilely to transfer dirt from the system into your nice new component, or is it good to give a new component a clean out with hydraflush before filling with LHM?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the system is dirty and you put in a new component, it will get dirty. If you do it before you change the component, any dirt you introduce while the system is open is a permanant fixture. The other way, your nice new component gets dirty then cleaned.
I suppose its a trade off, which is best will depend on how dirty the system is to begin with and how clean a job you can do of changing the components over.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

This is what you want Chris. I did mine recently and this was very helpfull (Cheer's Ander's).
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Good luck, I let westroen do mine as I couldn't be bothered in the end and it's made a real difference to both the braking and suspension systems. Despite the LHM not being too bad in colour, when the hydraflush came out it was black!! Now braking is less wierd/pulsey and the suspension is quicker to move into position.