STRANGE BRAKING :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cmac
My Cars:

STRANGE BRAKING :(

Post by cmac »

Just got xantia 1.9td m reg and find braking strange.. when approaching lights and depressing brakes the car slows with a juddering sensation , almost as though the ABS is going on and off very slowly.. Have been used to a metro and not too sure if this is right! Tell you what, gives me a bit of a fright if a car is in front!! Both front spheres have been changed and have heard from workmate that their may be nitrogen in the system some where..
Any words of advice would be grateful , cmac
cmac
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Cmac
Hi, could possibly be the main accumulator sphere is getting tired, this is situated between the radiator and the engine, it's easy to see with the bonnet up. What you are feeling could be pressure fluctuations from the hydraulic pump. Changing the sphere would most likely cure this as the new sphere would "accumulate" the hydraulic pressure more efficiently. Andyspares supply new accumulator spheres for £18. They are easy to change too!!
Hope this helps, regards, Rich.
cmac
My Cars:

Post by cmac »

many thanks , will give this a try :)
cmac
dirtydog
My Cars:

Post by dirtydog »

I had the same problem, changed the accumulator, but in this case it didnt cure it, discs were getting a bit of lip so changed both front disks and pads, which sorted the problem
Regards
DD
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

cmac,
Seems to be a common question - have a look at this thread and before you spend too much money remove the "strange spring thing" on the back of the brake pedal!!
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1171
Phil
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

cmac,
Seems to be a common question - have a look at this thread and before you spend too much money remove the "strange spring thing" on the back of the brake pedal!!
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1171
Phil
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

I had (past tense!) a similar feeling of the car pulsing slowly as I braked.
I have cured mine by pulling out the plastic plunger assembly that links brake pedal with brake valve and replacing the coil spring inside it with a nut. The nut was drilled internally to pass over the rubber "rod" that is inside and ground at the corners to fit inside the assembly. It was about 6-7 mm thick I think, which was just right for replacing the assembly into the socket in the brake pedal.
The brakes now feel like an older Citroen (HARD PEDAL!)and the pulsing has gone away. I think it was all in the leg muscles with small changes in the force on the pedal transmitted to the brake valve. With a direct action without the spring you can modulate the brake pedal pressure properly and the car stops smoothly.
Anyway that's what I found.
Cheers
JohnW
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Thought about doing this a long time ago but never got round to it, finally did the deed yesterday and what a transformation, its a bit like driving with air brakes, wish I'd done it sooner.
Just as JohnW says, proper modulation is now possible.
Why do Citroen to go and balls things up like they do, I thought they wanted their cars to be different.
Dave