Whining engine Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bodger
My Cars:

Whining engine Xantia

Post by Bodger »

Hi
Xantia 1999TD1.9 Sensation
Only had the car for a few days, I habe noticed when i press the accelarator there is a high pitched whins as i increase and decrease. Is this normal? Never had a diesel before. Also I can pull away without touching the acclerator this seems wrong to me but the dealer says the diesel needs this extra. Seems a bit mucj to me
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Bodger - Maybe you have some leakage in the air hoses to the turbo. On start up, the fast idle lever will be pulled tight. Then it is possible to pull away without using the accelerator.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Bodger,
Whining noise could be turbo air leak as suggested (although this is only usually apparent after a second or two as the boost pressure builds), but also the tensioners on the auxilliary drive belt, the Aircon compressor clutch, the alternator, the cambelt tensioners. Use a long screwdriver touched down onto the various parts, and press your ear against the end of the handle - makes a very effective stethoscope to help isolate noise.
As to being able to pull away at idle - this is normal - it's thanks to all that low down torque and the governor in the injection pump. You will find that the car will drive quite happily at idle in first, up even quite steep inclines without any input from the throttle (really annoys petrol drivers in traffic queues that one!). Normal idle once warmed up should be around 800 rpm.
Richard
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Your diesel has electronically controlled idle speed; you will find that you can pull away AND change all the way up the gearbox, without touching the throttle! (as long as the road is flat) it's quite unnerving! especially for passangers!
//NiSk
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

When my 97 Xantia TD did this it turned out to be the inlet manifold gasket becoming brittle and starting to disintegrate.
It began as a slight whining noise when accelerating, and gradually worsened into something between a referee's whistle and an air raid warning. Pedestrians would turn round to find where the noise was coming from !
The annoying thing was, it was almost impossible to make it do it just from revving the engine, it had to be in gear and under load before it would make the noise.
Could be worth looking at if all else fails.
Nick