What battery ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnlyn
My Cars:

What battery ?

Post by johnlyn »

I think that Iam going to have to put a new battery on my 1995 Xantia 1.9TD, well it is still on the factory fitted original so should not complain. Now this is where I need some assistance from you guys, what amperage battery do you fit? as I cant find anything on original to give me a clue, nor in the haynes book - sometimes has its uses!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It depends on the system they use over your way.
Out here, I'd be looking at a 480 cca as a minimum. Being a diesel however, I could imagine a 550 cca being a better option.
Alan S
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

What is 480/550 cca ?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

For your Xantia diesel you need a 60amp battery. If you go into a GSF store and tell them the car, they'll give you the correct battery. Well - they won't 'give' you it!!
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Cheers JohnD
Could i put a 70amp in instead as found one on ebay for a good price? Also, there is no GSF store near me (highlands) will need to check where they are based.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnlyn</i>

What is 480/550 cca ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
CCA is cold cranking amperes.
It's the current that the battery can deliver at cold to the starter motor to crank the engine.
A diesel needs at least 500CCA because the engine is harder to crank and the battery has to feed the glowplugs at the same time.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

You learn something new everyday !!! Cheers mate.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnlyn</i>

You learn something new everyday !!! Cheers mate.
No problems...all free !
My Xantia 95 petrol is on its fourth battery.
Looks like all batteries here come from the one Union Carbide factory in Indonesia, even the Bosch ones.
They have no environmental or occupational health and safety concerns there.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I tend to buy the biggest battery that will fit in the space!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

And the heaviest one too.
When it's got more lead and plates in it, it will crank more easily and last longer, but will also cost more.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clogzz</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

And the heaviest one too.
When it's got more lead and plates in it, it will crank more easily and last longer, but will also cost more.
Ive done the same on my petrol 405 when I needed a new battery, The motor factor brought out this silly little battery the parts book recommended, I laughed at him & bought instead the turbo diesel size battery & have never had a problem.
Same thing when I needed to replace the alternator, stuck the highest output one that would fit on.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

The original battery on my Xantia TD estate died without warning a couple of weeks ago. The nice RAC man who eventually managed to start the car using massive jump leads and a booster pack offered to fit a new one on the spot for £79...... Thanks but no thanks! Since the car was running I drove home. Following day tried to get one from GSF, but not in stock so went to Partco and got a Calcium one, 3yr warranty for £29. I don't know who makes it, but I've got another in my ZX and it has been going fine for 3+yrs. Maybe they are cheap and cheerful, but so far so good.
Cheers
Duncan
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gaskin</i>

T The nice RAC man who eventually managed to start the car using massive jump leads and a booster pack offered to fit a new one on the spot for £79..
I've heard that their mechanics make a fortune at the roadside.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Not AA or RAC but the other main player.....
£45 for an cheapy oil filled coil for my old sierra, got home and it was £15 for a genuine ford one, and it wasn't even the coil but a dodgy wire that took ages to find in all fairness to the guy, but he made at least £30 that day.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

The battery on my 1.9TD is a halfords calcium hcb013 with 550 cca and 105 reserve capacity.Whether
this is the correct one I dont know.Saying that I nipped into the said shop today to check on the prices of new battery's(for reference)and lo and behold the battery halfords specify for my car is
nearly the size of a lorry battery.Looking at it I dont think that battery was going to fit in that small corner of my engine bay without a shoe horn!!If I went for another battery I'd go for the same one I already have,I wouldn't want to upset the missus if she found out the shoe horn had another use.:)