ZX Clutch cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul 123
My Cars:

ZX Clutch cable

Post by Paul 123 »

Clutch cable went on my wife's 1994 zx diesel over Easter. Replaced with a new cable ok but the pedal got progressively stiffer until the outer tube was pulled through the bulkhead. On removing the cable you could see that the plastic inner (immediatly surrounding the cable) had moved and was visibly damaged at the gearbox end. This was preventing the cable moving through the outer sheath, hence the stiffness of the pedal.
My question is, was I just unlucky with a duff repacement cable or did I do something wrong in the fitting? I ensured that the new cable followed the route of the old but when it came to passing the cable through the bulkhead wasn't able to confirm that the rubber bung on the cable had seated properly because you can't see it or get your hands to it. I simply pushed the inner through the bulkhead and assumed that when everything was connected up the rubber bung would be sitting in the right position.
I now have to fit another new cable but obviously don't want the same thing to happen again.
Thanks
Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had something similar on my Renault 21 many years ago. Bid the vendor down (trader) on the basis that while the clutch cable felt sticky I'd do it myself and he said use a genuine one. Eventually I got round to doing it and bought a Qinton Hazell cable which looked splendid with loads of extra bits of rubber on it but it got stiffer and after a week broke the plastic adjuster mechanism on the pedal.
New pedal and genuine cable and ok for another 6 years until I disposed of it.
Jeremy