Intermediate ride height query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by czenda</i>

I do not dig this piece of information about WD40.
Is it a water dispersant? It may disperse water, but it will not re-establish an electric connection, being a good insulant.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You do not have to know how something works to use it. The first time I used it was in an old Riley I had driven through a deep puddle, killing the electrics totally. It was *issing down so I leapt out, sprayed all the leads,coil etc with WD40, started first time and drove off!
So, yes it is a water dispersant (its main use) but if you have a dry joint and you spray in something containing 30% water it will provide better contact than before.
But no, it was never intended as a protectant so is pointless on battery terminals etc.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I always smear Vaseline on mine (battery terminals [;)])
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I used to use WD to clean and lubricate handlebar switches on jap motorcycles, the main problem with the stuff was that within ten days it had gone and the treatment needed repeating, I now use an oil containing teflon, that seems to stay put longer, some of it evaporates but a good squirt has the effect of flushing clag out of the component.
Stewart
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html
The history of WD40 is on the page above.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Oh my, I was living in total darkness!
My only excuse can be that I am used to using Sviting spray when trying to undo rusty bolts (and it is, indeed, a thin penetrating oil with insulating properties).
Never thought that WD40 was a different story.
Mea culpa.[:0]
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

It looks as if I was wrong in saying that WD40 was a War Department spec.. I had assumed this because up to about 1960 the Fleet Air Arm (RNAS) used to use an all singing all dancing spray called "Fospro". This was reckoned to increase both conductivity and insulation (clever, eh?) and stories abounded about electric motors having been submerged in water, being given a quick spray of Fospro and then being returned to service. In about 1960, WD40 was introduced as a complete replacement for Fospro so hence the incorrect assumption. I do know that in the mid '60s the Sioux helicopter (the M.A.S.H. chopper) in service with the Army Air Corps suffered from corrosion of the frame tubes. The recommended cure was periodically to wipe the tubes with WD40 and yes, it did dry to a protective film. The main point of my post was that it ain't a lubricant.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by j_roc</i>

I would like to add to those that arent in the know that - WD-40 contains 30% water in its contents (to thin the mix out). I could never understand why people use it on battery terminals? And to use as a ignition spray on dizzy caps and HT leads as it just causes tracking of the elec current. The best course of action is to dry leads connections out with a dry cloth and then use a combustion spray, like Bradex Easy Start (available in the UK annyhow). Hope this helps.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't understand why people like WD40 either... as far as I'm concerned its c**p. [;)]
A far better thing for this type of job is a product called LPS1:
http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/Lubricants/LPS1.asp
It's a greaseless lubricant and penetrant, has NO water in it (in fact it has a very high breakdown voltage, and is an extremely good insulator) and has all kinds of uses, including freeing rusted bolts and linkages. (Perfect for freeing up height corrector linkages, or helping to break the rust seal on a sphere/suspension joint)
It can also be used in electrical connections such as plugs and sockets, switch contacts, carbon pots etc, and has a lasting effect unlike "contact cleaners" (which are basically just alcohol) as it leaves a dry lubricating film that prevents oxidation of the contacts.
It can be used effectively in distributor caps as well, unlike WD40 or CRC.
For more lasting effect in heavy duty use (like height corrector linkages exposed to under car road filth) LPS2 is probably better, as it is the same thing with an additional soft waxy coating, however this version shouldn't be used for electrical use such as switch contacts or distributor caps as the waxy coating means it isn't as good an insulator as the plain LPS1.
http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/Lubricants/LPS2.asp
Regards,
Simon