Xantia HDi seat belt warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Xantia HDi seat belt warning light

Post by mcgregor »

Hi
Can anyone help me here? My 2001 Xantia HDi 110 has developed a not serious but never the less agravating habit of the seat belt warning light coming on as you are driving. When you start her up from cold the light goes out as usual and then as you are driving along after about 20 minutes driving on it comes and glares at you from the dash. If you stop the engine and restart it the warning light goes out and then comes on again very quickly (like 2/3 minutes). All of which makes me wonder if its in some way heat related but I really have no idea. Is there a relay/timer for this function.If so where is it. Any help really appreciated.
Dave
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Is it the seatbelt warning light - or side air bag warning lamp? The former (if fitted - and my 2000 90HDi never had one) is usually a dodgey contact in the drivers seat belt clip point - try spraying and cleaning the contactc with a propriatory cleaner.
The latter (orange lamp, looks like a bloke sat in the seat with a blob on his side) is usually a connector under the seat - same again check leads, connections spray and clean. Often these light up if disturbed by rear seat passengers feet, or even moving the drivers seat.
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Hi
Thanks for the answer. My car does not have side air bags. Its a yellow light with a guy sitting with a diagonal belt across him. It goes off (temporarily now like!) even if you don't put on your seatbelt which leads me to believe that it may just be on some sort of timer or the like. The reason I found this out was after it started acting up I left the seat belt undone after starting thinking that that would leave it on but no it went out and then came back on again as described earlier. That made me think that it wasn't a belt connection that put it out.
Dave
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

My appologies on this one my car does have side air bags and that was indeed the problem after all. I followed your advice re the electrical connections and lo and behold its cured. Thanks for the help.
Dave
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

No worries.
Enjoy the Xant[:)]