Fuel Catalysts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

Fuel Catalysts

Post by druist »

came across this site
http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/
and wondered are they any good, can they really save you money on fuel and do the other things it claims?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Just one big con.
If these products were any good then they would have been endorsed by independant testing, such as FBHVC. The products produced by reputable companies as Millers and Castrol are.
Another company marketing a similar porduct called 'Broquet' or similar were told to change their advertising as there is no evidence of it doing the job described. Interestingly the company were unable to produce any evidence themselves to back up their claims and quietly went away after an initial bit of whinging.
Leaded petrol is only really required on older cars if they are being pretty much thrashed and needless to say most aren't, so these companies get away with their riduculous claims.
Fools and their money.......................
My Morris enjoys a good drop of Millers 'VSP Plus' thank you very much!
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Yes, I often wonder how good their chemistry can be if their spelling is so poor - kerozine and degredation.
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

Snake Oil !
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Pure B*lls*t!
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyP</i>

Snake Oil !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Where can I buy some snake oil for my diesel?
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

These were sold in New Zealand under several names, Fuelstar being the most marketed brand - same as Powerplus in U.K. I think.
Some people say they don't work, others swear by them. I used one sucessfully to stop pinking on my Rover V8 when our fuel changed to unleaded a few years ago. People have used them on diesels to Boost fuel economy and reduce exhaust smoke. I have seen enough to know that they definitely work in SOME cases but I don't understand why the results are inconsistent.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

I'm puzzled, just what do these devices do when you dump them in the fuel tank? If they are supposed to change the structure of the fuel and it's so beneficial, why don't the fuel suppliers do it before delivery and then market the result as a new super fuel - got to be worth a few extra pennies per litre!
With regard to older cars not needing leaded fuel unless they were driven hard, the problem was with cast iron cylinder heads without hardened valve seat inserts. They relied on the tetra ethyl lead in the fuel to lubricate the valve seats, they suffered accelerated wear on unleaded fuel.
druist

Post by druist »

i emailed the guy and he reckons that he runs his car on 80% cooking oil and 20% deisel with one of these devices plus some other gismo that heats the cooking oil (probaly a camping stove).
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Obviously you need the catalyst to use 80% cooking oil, no <i>normal</i> (like one with a Bosch pump) car would be able to use <i>that</i> much cooking oil without doing itself damage. </sarcasm>