Citroen Berlingo Noise+ Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrscmbs
My Cars:

Citroen Berlingo Noise+ Problem

Post by chrscmbs »

Hi, Can anyone give me some advice with my stupid Van?
Well, maybe its not the vans fault, but its bad luck i can do without...
My Van is a Citroen Berlingo 1.9 600 Lx, on an o3 plate
Facelift Version)
I bought if last friday, and withing 12 hours, the water temp sensor failed, the fuel guage failed, the throttle cable snapped and the clutch went...
A nice AA man did a temp fix on the cable, and i drove it home at 40mph, from notts, to yorkshire, nice...
So as you can imagine i was utterly P***** off, lol
Straight back to the dealer, and he rectified all the faults inc. a full new clutch, drove if home from the garage, and parked it up for a long bank holiday weekend.
Got in it this morning, and what a racket on start up, by the time i had reversed out of the garden, and drove to the end of the street, the revs, and banging were in tandam?, banging coming from under the bonnet, drives like a three legged pig, and it seems to be all rev's, with no go about it, did a 40 mile trip, and used half a tank of diesel???, so i was streight back on to the dealer, and will be taking it back in the morning, but i would like to find out if anyone has a good suggestion about this, or where the probs are?, its done 70,000, new cam belt, and full service, inc. the new parts i mentioned, but like i said its really noisy, drives sluggish, and i cant take anymore.
what can it be?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would sudgest garage have done somthing wrong or left some nuts and bolts out,sound like a wonderfull van,hope you didnt pay much for it regards malcolm
chrscmbs
My Cars:

Post by chrscmbs »

Hi,
Im really gutted, lol
Why me???
Maybe the garage have left some things out, wish i had never bought it, and it wasn't cheap either.
the noise / banging it generates, stops in 3rd gear or above, with enough rev's, but the consumption is astronomical???
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would slling it back at them and demand full refund,and some compesation for hasle,and menttion trading standerds best of luck, malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Worth having a look to see if the earth lead to the engine has been fitted properly and is tight (and clean) I don't know what equitment you have but apart from the usual push pull type test it may be worth measuring the voltage between the battery negative terminal and the engine block as the engine is started.
I'm reminded of a similar problem a while ago and hope your problem isn't the same.
I will try and find the thread.
Jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Found the thread - story was had clutch done, didn't run properly again. Earth lead found loose and tightened - still ran badly and ECU found to be burnt out.
I suggest you don't try and repair the earth lead if it is loose but notify the trader so as to avoid any further damage or spoiling your claim.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11945
Jeremy
chrscmbs
My Cars:

Post by chrscmbs »

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions, the more people can give me, the more the garage will investigate, im not been fobbed off, im loosing a lot of money, as my van is my work tool....im a self employed courier.
I dont like the sound of the thread you mentioned Jeremy, lol, but i will be very interested to read it, if you can find it...
Would this earth cable cause the loss in power, high fuel consumption, and the noise?
Thanks for your info, and malcolm's too
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The earth cable won't but the blown ECU will!
What must have happened is that when the starter was operated with the faulty earth the engine found a new earth through something controlled by the ECU and naturally the ECU didn't appreciate this treatment and burnt out. Actually from what I remember from the pictures (which take ages to load) it looked as though there was a designed weak point in the circuit that was intended to localise damage (looks like a zig zag in the area) and having established the cause it would have been interesting to know if the thing would work again.
Jeremy
jeremy
chrscmbs
My Cars:

Post by chrscmbs »

Thanks for all your suggestions Jeremy,
Im going into that garage in the morning with all guns blazing...
ECU
Earth Lead
Bang...
All i want is for my van to be reliable, and economical, and to use it to earn a living to pay the bills, and give the kids some nice treats, and me of course, lol
But at the moment its not reliable, or economical, and i have had enough, up to press, its cost me roughly £340.00 in lost jobs, jobs i was sent, but i had to turn down because i wasnt mobile (dead in the water) and all because i bought this van instead of another...
more fool me springs to mind!!!
Thanks Jeremy, will let you know the outcome of all this dark episode, lol
I wouldnt mind a Citroen dealer taking a look at the van for me too...
chrscmbs
My Cars:

Post by chrscmbs »

FAO: Jeremy + Malcolm
Hi,
This is to let you know what happened when i took my van in this morning.
I explained what was suggested to me via yourself(s), regarding the earth cable, ecu etc. and from that point, they were on the job, lol
First thing they did was to hook up a laptop, via a connection near the fuse box, and run a prog. to search for system errors, it found one, The Air Flow Meter unit, it was shot...
So they ordered a new one, 20 mins later it arrived via andrew pages and they fitted it, but the error then changed to a butterfly valve, or something???, with a diaphram, that was all blocked up with gunk, they cleaned it off, and replaced it, and wham, one van that was working, technical arnt i, lol
The airflow was the main prob. causing the ECU to use x5 more diesel than needed, which inturn caused the high revs, and loss of power, then the buterfly valve, cropped up, and wham... slow mode
I got out of the garage after 6.5 hours, 10 miles up the road, and the battery warning light came on after three short beeps, and i lost all power again.... why me?
I cant explain how P***** off i was, so i crawled back to the garage, they hooked the laptop on, and no faults?, they test drove it again, and all ok?,
aparently, with a voltage overdose, it send the ECU into safe/crawl mode, to protect itself, and this is what it did?
They tried to find out why it had done this, but couldnt suss it out, ran a voltage test on the battery/alternator, all ok?
I left the garage again, and drove it home, without a prob, but this time i did something different...
I did not plug my 12v 3-way adapter into the 12v point, which runs my sat.nav, and my laser detector...
I did put my sat nav in on its own, and all ok, but i never tried the adapter, with all my equip.plugged into it, just incase this was the cause of the overload?
As you can tell, its a good job im really technical when i describe things, lol, not.
But since i bought this vehicle, 6 days ago, within 12 hours the it all went pear shaped.
<b>Citroen Berlingo 600 LX, on an 03 Plate</b>
The Whole clutch has been replaced, inc. pully's?
The Temperature/Coolant sensor has been replaced
The Fuel guage, has been replaced, via taking the tank off, sticky...
The Airflow meter unit has been replaced
The Buterfly valve unit thingy, lol has been replaced
The Diaphram has been cleaned & replaced
Two tyres have been repaired for slow punctures
The Cam belt has been replaced
The Air, Oil, Fuel Filters have been replaced
And at this point im scared to plug in more than one 12v accessory incase it goes again, lol
Well with my luck wouldnt you feel weary?
All the work, labour, parts have all been paid for by the dealer i bought this van from, it hasnt cost me a penny, which i wouldnt have paid anyway, but i have lost three days work through all of this, and i will be chasing the dealer for some comp., afterall, i bought this van in good faith for over £4600+ only to end up with a lemon(Citroen) in frech, lol
Im just waiting to see what goes next, but i am concered about the battery warning indicator coming on, after three short beeps again
Any thought why its doing this apart for the obviouse, an overload of gadgets, but i cant see how one snooper laser detector, and one pda running sat nav, via a 3-way adaptor can cause all this hassle?
all the best
ChrsCmbs
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it might be your adapter,we had one kept blowing fuses,you may also find there was nout wrong with air flow meter,the valve might have caused the hole running prob,just to give you some more sleep less nights,as your van has probably been over fueling the next thing to go wil probably be the cat if it has one regards malcolm
chrscmbs
My Cars:

Post by chrscmbs »

The Bloody CAT!!!, lol
Why, Why ME?
Just my luck if it does go, lol
The 12v accessory adapter is now in the bin!
Thanks for all your suggestions Malcolm, really appriciated, and i mean that, thanks pal, same applies for Jeremy's too...
I did notice that the message "ECO MODE" came up the other day whilst i was stationary, with the radio and sat nav on, caused the radio etc to turn off on its own, but restarted as normal on starting the engine?, is this anything to worry about of is this a safety feature to save power? forgot to mention this to anyone upto press...