De-Catting a Xantia HDi 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

littleredrooster

De-Catting a Xantia HDi 110

Post by littleredrooster »

The catalyst on my Xantia has rotted away and I need to find a replacement urgently. GSF don't list the part, and the local exhaust centre want £275 for the front pipe/cat.
Has anyone de-catted a Xantia HDi? Which front pipe did you use? Any cutting / welding needed? Anyone know what size pipe I need to start with if I have a go at making my own? (I haven't been out to lie under the car yet!)
Help!!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I went to a stainless steel exhaust manufacturer called 'Longlife' in Leeds. Cost me £130 ish on my Xsara HDi whereas for a new cat front pipe would have been about £200. He took it from the front flange to the middle section. When I had it done I noticed that the turbo does seem to spool up earlier. Well worth the money and a good cost saving...
They have a website but |I would get a few prices of others explaining what you want and haggle them down. Think Longlife have a few places around the country...
Cheers
Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you de/cat a car that has one on from factory it should be picked up on MOT and fail because it has been removed,unless it is a very early catted car regards malcolm
littleredrooster

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

if you de/cat a car that has one on from factory it should be picked up on MOT and fail because it has been removed,unless it is a very early catted car regards malcolm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Didn't know that there was a requirement for diesels to have cats?
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

I asked my local MOT station today, whilst getting an oil change done. They said that if I de-catted my Xantia it would pass an MOT as the only stipulation for emissions is the smoke test.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

With luck you should find the answer on this link - its the whole MOT tester's handbook!
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok i stand corected if im wrong regards malcolm
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

There is no requirement for <i>any</i> car to have a cat, even a petrol one.
It's just that if a car has a petrol engine that was manufactured after 1st August 1992, then it has to take the more stringent test which it won't be able to pass unless it has a cat fitted and working.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Yeah for diesels it is just a smoke test = nothing a good Italian tune-up wouldnt solve......
littleredrooster

So....back to the original question - anyone have any idea how to de-cat the bloody thing? Which pipe do I need? Will I have to fabricate summat? Am I the trailblazer for this? I'm not really that keen on spending loads of wonga on summat that ain't necessary!! [:(]
Car is now off the road, I'm using the bike tomorrow morning but need the car before Friday night 'cos we have a gig to do (rock/blues band - Crown Inn at Napton, Warks. if anyone wants to have a night of good music)
Thanks in anticipation, guys
littleredrooster

Sorry, Drpau - good reply, but the nearest Longlife dealer is almost in Wales; I don't think the car would go that far without the exhaust falling off. [:(]
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

My 306 petrol passed its Mot emission test without a car last year.
Paul.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Would the TD front pipe without the CAT and silencer fit an HDI?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

WHy dont you just run it down to your local exhaust place - they *should* be able to weld it for you (Mine went exactly on the weld as well and they were able to do it on mine), thats what I did with mine, they welded it and sealed it around with paste/ sealant. It was a pretty sturdy job actually, Ive no doubt it would still have been OK now if I hadnt decided to go for a permanent fix - the exhaust guy virtually swung off it! Only charged 5-10 squids an all!
If you do a search on the web there are quite a few places that will make up a section for you.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Here you go,
http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/catalytic_c ... ke=CITROEN
114 plus vat for the xantia hdi, same part as for the 2.1.....