Xantia clutch change using two jacks - possible?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I am no hero but at 60 years old I did it with a trolley jack without many problems. What I do suggest is that you withdraw the gearbox but let it down as little as possible. I then worked within the bell housing area to install the new clutch set. Thus it went back in OK but I did have to persuade it with me lying down on my back, and pushed it in to postion with my feet and waggling it at the same time.Best of luck!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
not many of you are in my area, but anyone around Ballarat is welcome to borrow my engine crane for a weekend if they need it. It's only a cheapie, but a 2ton engine crane makes life sooooooo easy.
Would you believe since I was 16 I've probably averaged pulling a motor out of a car per year. About 4years ago I swore I'd never do it again without an engine crane. So I went and bought an engine crane ........... I've never needed it since [:(!]...... Haven't used it since the day I got it [V] Though lots of friends and relatives have used it.
Now with the CX & BX both having dead clutches it's going to finally pay for itself [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
roypch

Post by roypch »

Hi Phil
Did you manage to do clutch replacement with trolley jack and axle stands ? Just a bit curious as my clutch is heavy (clip broke few montgs ago - running on new clip) and would have given it a try if it is doable for someone with average diy skills (i did change timing belt on this car) !
All i have access to is trolley jack and 4 axle stands.
best
roypch

Post by roypch »

Could anyone kindly confirm the size of hex bit required for removing transmission/engine bolts (for Xantia 1.9 TD SX - 1994 model). I saw someone mentioning this as 7 mm or 8 mm. This is so that i can get all the tools needed in advance. I am assuming that other than this and a standard tool box, i would require 35 mm hub socket and torque qrench. help pls !
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

They are 8MM hex bolts and you will need the 35mm socket and a BIG bar also some of the gearbox /engine bolts are 16mm for some reason.
Stewart
roypch

Post by roypch »

Many thanks Stewart. I have to buy the bits and socket. (have a long strong pipe piece for leverage)
Roy