Xantia clutch change using two jacks - possible?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philjw
My Cars:

Xantia clutch change using two jacks - possible?

Post by Philjw »

I'm contemplating replacing my 19TD clutch. Haynes suggests using two jacks. Others who have done clutch changes recommend hoists and slings. Has anyone successfully used the two jacks method?
Right now I have only one trolley jack but also a couple of hydraulic bottle jacks. Would I get away with those?
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

You'll get away with these alright, a couple of blocks of timber to support the car would also be handy. The box is a bit of a weight. Haynes should recommend 'a strong friend' as four hands are better than two for the lift back in !
Brian
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When I did mine I had the gearbox on a trolley jack to carry the weight and an improvised hoist to get it aligned. The improvised hoist was a plank of wood, a piece of rope and my Dad.
On my own with just the jack I couldn't guide the box past the subframe because it didn't sit on the jack in the correct orientation. You can't really see where you're jacking to either from underneath, it really is a two person job and is easy with two people. An engine crane would have been ideal, but I didnt have one and still dont.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I did the same 2 years ago, with 2 people.
Dropped it using the jack and a lot of wiggling but couldn't get it back in the same way.
Ending up wiht the weight supported in a sling around a stout piece of wood on top of the engin bay and myself back to ground underneath doing the aligning.
A bottle jack to support the enginw will be fine. I would check periodically tha thte jack isn't settling, especially if left overnight. I used the sissor jack since there can't be any loss of pressure of time with them.
mipster
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've done it before on my own, suspending the box near its balance point and using a trolley jack to 'fine tune' the position. frustrating though, and not recommended!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I spent ages trying to get it in before I got the technique right. The thing was that it almost fit, but not quite, the gear linkages on the back of the gearbox kept catching on hydraulic lines.
To get it in, you've got to sort of rotate it through 45 degrees and go up and towards the rear of the car, over the subframe, then it's easy to line up the input shaft and slide it on. The box doesn't want to sit on the jack at that 45 degree angle though.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I agree with Kowalski on that one, even when you know that the friction plate is lined up you can have a devil of a job getting the box back in, I ended up using a scissor jack to push the engine forward and up to get clearance for the diff, I use a sling on my engine crane to suspend the box in the right place as I find they get a bit heavy after a dozen attempts, still think of the money you save, I would consider hiring a crane though, when i hired one a few years ago it only cost around £20 for the weekend.
Stewart[8]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

If I'm reading this correctly, you are saying you can remove a Xantia gearbox leaving the motor behind ???
Man space would be so severely restricted I think I'l still pull both motor & box as it would be so much easier. Where does the space to seperate them in situ come from ??
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

If I'm reading this correctly, you are saying you can remove a Xantia gearbox leaving the motor behind ???
Man space would be so severely restricted I think I'l still pull both motor & box as it would be so much easier. Where does the space to seperate them in situ come from ??
seeya,
Shane L.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
BTW: Did I mention I'm about to do a clutch change on my CX .... Wish me luck, it's an engine out job and an excellent time to do all those little "While I'm here" type jobs.
I guestimate I'll be without a car for a few weeks[:0] [:0] You see nothing ever goes to plan[:(!] [}:)] (at least that's my experiance).
seeya
Shane L.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Doublechevron, I too am a fan of removing the whole drivepack, with the thing sitting on the floor clutches, timing belts, pipework on the rear of the motor all become minutes work rather than hours, by the time you have removed everything to get the gearbox out the engine unit is really only about six bolts and a wire away from coming out too.[:o)]
Stewart
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Yeah I agree with the whole lump out method, but thats only really possible if you have a hoist!
Re Oilyspanner, where did you hire a hoist from? I have had a wee search before but couldn't find a source, please point me in the right direction if you know of any!
Ta Adam.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I think it came from speedy hire centre, but you could try HSS and Hewden hire too, the rates get much better over a weekend.
Stewart
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I'd agree that some jobs are a whole lot easier with the engine out but taking the engine out is a lot of work in itself. There are numerous wires and hoses that need to be shifted, and if you've got air con, you've either got to crack open the air con system (which means a new dryer / regass) or find somewhere nice to hang the compressor where its no in the way and taking it off the engine is a job in itself.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

To realign the box when not taking it out of the car you need 2-3 pieces of wire run them through the bolt holes so as you push the clutch back onto the engine it self aligns :)
The guy who does all my nasty work (Ollie) can do one of these in 3 hours!
Andy
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

OK Andy, where does Ollie live and can he give me a price on a 98 Xant TD (with AC) clutch change?
Seriously though, we have tried this one before to no avail but if at first.....
I do think it would be useful to have a list of tried and tested indys who we could try to use on a regular basis.
Any thoughts?