How to dismantle boot button/lock mechanism

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

How to dismantle boot button/lock mechanism

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,
Want to put the boot button/lock mechanism from one Xantia into another where the button has worn and is no good. Barrel must be changed for existing key to work it though.
Anyone know how to dismantle the assembly? I want to remove the entire barrel from the plastic surround so I can then swap the barrel over from other.
I don't mean just the little lock barrel inside where the key goes, but the larger diameter (1.2 inch) metal cylinder. It just seems it will not come out and no obvious way of getting it out.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Had problems with ZX one where the operatimg plate and pin dropped off and came to the conclusion thet I couldn't get the barrel out - which was also the impression of a scrap dealer who wanted to sell me another without a key.
On ZX it is all plastic and must be assembled somehow but I could not find the join.
Jeremy
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I finally managed it. I can strip it right to the key barrel. There's a rubber washer on the back end of the largew cylinder (furthest end from key slot) which needs to be removed or moved out of the way. The cylinder will then push further towards you - if looking at the key slot end - than normal. This allows you to rotate the cylinder anti-clockwise by around 1cm till it hits a stop. It then pushes the other way (pressure applied to end with key slot) and comes out. The rotation aligns protrusions on the cylinder to align with cut-outs inside the plastic housing.
The inner key barrel can then be removed by pushing down a metal clip visible on the outside of the cylinder while pulling the smaller barrel outwards.
Hope this someday helps someone!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had the lock barrel on the older Xantia all apart because the boot lock had seized solid, I don't remember how it came apart, but you seem to have it worked out now anyway.