Rough Xantia...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manic_man
My Cars:

Rough Xantia...

Post by manic_man »

Hi guys,
Ok i have been piling the miles onto my xantia this year and its nearing 100k now. When in motion its still fairly smooth however at idle its become very "juddery" hard to describe. The engine note is a little louder, but still the correct "rythm" however the whole cars jerks forwards and backwards slightly (probably couldnt even see it from outside but it can be felt inside)
I have had the bottom engine mount renewed but oddly its made it worse!! The "judder" on take off it had (when warm) is now gone but the judder is now more obvious...
Guys i dont have a clue where to start, it doesnt SEEM to be a timing issue otherwise the engine would smoke or maybe miss id have thought?
Valve clearances a possiblity? If so what are the symptoms of this (and the possible damage etc if i didnt get them done)
im REALLY struggling for money on this thing but need it to last another year or so if possible so want to hold back any major failures if possible...
thanks for any help guys :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What engine is it?
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

haha sorry i didnt put enough thought into that post did i ;)
1997 1.9TD
cheers :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Must be a diesel by your description. Have the coldstart device checked.
This is the "diesel choker" except it does not enrich the fuel - but modify the timing. Commonly they stop working and is then stuck with the cold start timing. Gives a more "rough" diesel note in warm idle.
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

hmm interesting.
so it doesnt just alter the revs then but the actual timing? if the device was faulty would i still see the revs drop as expected? (admittedly they always drop to the same amount but it always very close..)
Any idea re: the judder, from what i can see the top two engine mounts look good... ive recently had the exaust changed, but from what i can see it only attaches to the body at the back box and the middle sectin of pipe has no clamps at all? is this right? ive had a look and cant see any anchor points (certainly no clamps)
i just find it a tad odd the judder is more obvious now the bottom mount has been replaced (the engine rocks quite obviousely by the way if you watch it at idle)
cheers guys :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is the engine 'rocking' when ticking over and does it smooth out as the revs increase? If so it sounds as though the power is down on one cylinder, is there any white smoke? that would indicate low compression. Could be valve clearances, an out of spec injector or the pump. If it still goes all right I wouldn't worry about it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A sticky coldstart device will tell by a bit too high idle constantly.
I admit I cant read that from your posting - but if the idle then has been adjusted down at any time - the real problem is hidden then.
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

Peter N, that sounds exactly what im experiencing!
Its only started in the last 10k miles, no smoke at all, totally smoke free engine (even on start) revs freely all the way to the heady heights of its 4k limiter (not done often of course!!) no obvious loss of power...
Its very odd... iwould go as far to say its worse when the car is pointing down a hill than when its pointing up a hill too :p
Re: the idle its always started at around 1100 RPM and drops to between 900 and 700 depending on what it feels like that day...
i wouldnt be worried about it except its clearly worse than i thought as replacingup its mount (which i thought would cure it...) has only exasperated the effect and made it more obvious...
dontcha love xantias? :D