Horn trouble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Horn trouble

Post by mezuk04 »

After a quick trip to Chesterfield with Wilkobob for a mobile phone and a few long honking sessions on his horn at stupid drivers.....anyways there was a couple of things i wanted to check.....where is the actual horn located on my 'signature' car??? as it sounds p**s poor and that may make people believe im slightly more feminime (spelling?) than i actually am.....also there are occasions that when i press it it doesn't respond at all so is this due to the connections and wiring which may also be contributing to the p**s poor noise or is that just the horn itself...any suggestions would be appreciated as im really trying to iron out any wee niggles out of the car i can so at the end i can have an absolute top of a car...
Regards
And is it an easy fix and does anyone have a right macho horn going hehehe
Regards
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what you need is cx air horn then you have to use them at every oppertunity,has desired afect fecking magicthis promted me to do some thing about my feeble bx horn that has been scaping through mot for about 2/3 years,when i got under n/s wheel arch pulled trim away got to honccer,it has oviously sufferd water damage,so i fitted good s/h one now it work better than it has for long time regards malcolm
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I'd say that anyone who thinks he'll be thought "feminine" by other drivers because his stupid horn isn't loud enough is telling us something about his personality that he might perhaps not actually want us to know!
Anyway, Chesterfield's a nice long way away from me, thank goodness. I use my horn maybe four times a year, so you can have my unused pointless-noise quota.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Try checking the connections/earth on the horn first.They tend to be low to the ground where they get dirty.Might just need a good cleaning or new connectors.
The best upgrade would be to get a twin set from a scrappy,like on the Xantia.Normal horns but two of them.A high tone,& a low tone.I`ve done this a few times on my old cars of past,you just need to connect to two horns together to make them both work.Any twin horns off of most cars will do the trick.But some are earthed through the bolt that secures the horn,with 1 connection on the horn body(ford i think)& some have 2 connections on the horn body,earth & live feed.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The horn on my wifes BX TZD has packed up twice just prior to the MOT, well it might have been a bit before as its only ever used for the MOT. I replaced it with a universal one from GSF, so far OK, next mot it had packed up again, so I replaced it again after fighting my way through the under body/wing shield, this time it didn't work, after wasting a considerable ammount of time checking fuses, wiring, connectors etc, I pulled on the leads from above, just behind the headlight and lo and behold it worked, the problem was a bad connection on the tag.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My guess is that you have 2 horns and only the high pitch one is working - hence the effeminate squeak. They will be somewhere round the front and probably close together and probably behind the bumper. I was able to reveive my BX one by prodding the terminals through the lower grill before an MOT and they are still working.
Having said that air horns certainly used to be cheap and sound most impressive. Just remember to fit the trumpets facing down so that they don't fill with water. (In fact goes for all horns - I remember my sister saying that their new 205GTi got through its original and a replacement before it was noticed that both had been fitted the wrojng way up and filled with water.)
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if some one buyes the three cxs addvertised in sale/wanteds there will be plenty of air horn to go round,usuly though its a bad conection on horns themselfs the terminals become tarnished regards malcolm
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

I had an Activa for a short time around 1998 and i'm sure they were fitted with air horns!!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Off to the scrappies Saturday afternoon with Wilkobob for a indicator stalk (horn button) and get a new horn/s...so will let you's know the outcome
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well got replacement horns and indicator stalk and it would appear that the stalk was at fault so now have a beefy horn.....still havent used it though to stupid drivers....sadly Wilkobob noticed my front drivers side tyre is bulging so thanks for that [V] ....so get that replaced tuesday morning (day off sick i think) and should be back in business
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

happy horning