Sphere dates

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phex

Sphere dates

Post by phex »

I'm just looking at the spheres that arrived today from GSF, and only one of them has a date printed on it 08/03 and another sticker on the sphere saying 19/11/2003 wouldn't that make it potentially not much use, it also has a code SP609 on it? The other spheres have codes on them like SP606 and SP703 can I decode how old these spheres are?
Also should I be returning this sphere that is 21 months old! it certainly doesn't sound like it will be much use if the spheres lose pressure just sitting on the shelf.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

phex, if you want the best and the right spheres you have to buy them at Citroen.
And contrary to the popular belief, they are not more expensive, considering the top quality product you get.
Most non-Citroen spheres sellers often are not sure they are selling you the right spheres. Also, they usually don't replace them in the shelf, just because a few years have passed by... [V]
IMHO, you're burning your time and money and buying a lot of worries.<i>shut the **** up, you Trolling, no nothing IDIOT</i>
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

My advice for phex is to have the sphere checked for pressure before mounting it, if in doubt.
I guess T-bird probably never heard about Belgian IFHS manufacturer.
Contrary to his belief, they make spheres which are about 1/3 cheaper than those sold at Citroen dealer.
The accumulator sphere I bought from IFHS spent plus minus 1 year on shelf and when checked for pressure, it was just those 62 bars as it was supposed to be. Judging from my good experience, I do not think they are any worse.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The SP numbers are the stock/model numbers.
Those dates do seem to be rather old which may explain why Activa spheres are being discontinued, not enough people buy them.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Spheres don't normally lose gas just sitting there, because they are not under any load,also as long as you buy brand new aftermarket spheres you should be ok, besides the price difference is considerable between Cit/non,I have always used Amtex spheres from GSF, not just on my cars, but also on my customers cars with no probs at all. Regards, Malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

Most non-Citroen spheres sellers often are not sure they are selling you the right spheres. Also, they usually don't replace them in the shelf, just because a few years have passed by... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I would have thought that somebody like GSF, with the turnover of parts they have, would have spheres on the shelf for very little time indeed.
If you go to a small Citroen dealer that keeps stock and doesn't turn it over very quickly, you could find that the spheres have been on the shelf for some time.
I doubt whether GSF or Citroen will throw away spheres because they're old, but stock rotation and turnover will keep things right.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>
Most non-Citroen spheres sellers often are not sure they are selling you the right spheres.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Have you not seen the sphere chart on this website? Also, I've been getting GSF spheres since I first bought a hydraulic Citroen in 1991. Never have they been more than a few months old.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bought an Al Ko Accumulator Sphere from E*P today and it appears dated 01/04....