Xantia plip control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

portsaid1947
My Cars:

Xantia plip control

Post by portsaid1947 »

I have a brand new plip control 2 button late model xantia, it came with the car, how do i programme it to my car? i have the original but that does'nt work... or is it a vist to the citroen garage and what can i expect from them,thank you.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Taken from a previous contributor....The early Xantias had an IR plip which is different to the BX/ZX/CX/XM plip. You do not need a plip to match the reciever. The system is reprogrammed to accept the plip by turning on the ignition and firing the plip at the reciever (obviously you need a second key to do that).For two plips with ignition on and both plips pressed against the receiver keep pressing the plips for about half a minute. You may need several goes at it but it worked for me.
portsaid1947
My Cars:

Post by portsaid1947 »

johnT does that avice apply to late xantia facelift '98 model.reciever is hidden somewhere under dash apparently,thanks
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

Hi portsaid,
I had the same prob when I changed my batteries.
On my Xantia (2000 model, 2.0 HDI) the plip has the key build in, that folds down like a pen knife. This is not the IR version that came with older ones.
To reprogramm it all you have to do is turn on the ignition fully, then press both of the buttons, one at a time.
Thats all you need to do. I got that little gem from the owners manual!!!
portsaid1947
My Cars:

Post by portsaid1947 »

Thanks PEYOTE i'll give it a try but some how i think its abit more complicated than that.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by portsaid1947</i>

I have a brand new plip control 2 button late model xantia, it came with the car, how do i programme it to my car? i have the original but that does'nt work... or is it a vist to the citroen garage and what can i expect from them,thank you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Along similar lines, my Dad's 1994 2.0i SX Auto didn't come with a plip control (second hand, almost certainly lost if it did originally have one) but we suspect it might be fitted for one - there is a small plastic dome on a removable panel in the ceiling just above the middle of the windscreen - is this the location of the IR receiver ?
If the plastic dome is there, does that guarentee that the car has the receiver fitted for the IR plip, and therefore worth trying to get a new plip for it ? Or should I remove the panel first and see if there is a sensor/wiring there to confirm it ?
Now that I know that a new one can be programmed easily to match a given car, it makes it sound worthwhile getting one.
The only snag I can see is if the plip has a built in key, it won't match the lock for the door, unless it can be removed and the plain key re-fitted to the plip, or unless you can get a blank for the plip that could be cut by a locksmith from the other key.
Any suggestions ?
Regards,
Simon
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

In reply on this subject please see how to programme in more detail. Whether it will work with a post 1998 Xantia I am not sure but try it. I also add that that the plip programmes the car not the other way round.
To programme....put a key in the ignition,(you may have to take a key out of one of the fobs) turn on to the first position, press the button nearestthe key repeatedly at the receiver above the rear view mirror, do the same with the second plip. Turn off the ignition, remove the key, open and close the door and now try each plip. Any problems get back to me again.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

The receiver is housed behind the plastic dome above the rear view mirror. As to my last post I may have caused confusion on the subject of the plip programming the car? I have one plip that is now programmed to operate two Xantias I own. I have no doubt that if I could lay my hands on another plip I could have two keys and two cars all working together!(no, I am not sure of the benefit!) Thus my logic in this? My brain hurts.