BX Handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Fearn
My Cars:

BX Handbrake

Post by Ian Fearn »

Can anybody enlighten me as to why my BX handbrake doesnt work on one wheel?
The cable pulls the actuating level on the caliper but it has no effect. Whats up with it? My MOT is tommorrow so i guess it'll fail on that.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Probably the self adjuster isn't anymore. Try stamping very hard on the brake pedal a few times to see if that wakes it up. If not, have a look at Shane's site, as he had very similar problems with his BX
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

frailed cable but adjusters sound about right.....my adjusters seem to have disappeared at one stage which was scary and also noticed at the same time that the cables were frailing
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Looks like i've got the same problem as described on the australian web site. Broken spring in the caliper which stops the pads winding out of the caliper as the pads wear.
Thanks, at least if it fails tommorrow i'll know why!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if fraid cables they wont let lever off fully so hand brake mech cant adjust ,you must not stamp on pedle,just press it hard 3/4 times,if you stamp on it you risk spliting rubber seal behind pedle on dozer valve,also if cables dont release completly calipers do not adjust,so you end up with no hand brake,unhook cable end/s from offending lever,start engine and press pedle hard 3/4 times this sould prove if you caliper/s are adjusting up ok regards malcolm