Xantia Lowering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dougiefowler

Xantia Lowering

Post by dougiefowler »

I am just about to buy some 17" alloys for my 1993/94 Xantia, however I wondered if it was possible to get the supension lowered (not by much) so it doesn't look so much like a 4x4?
Dougie
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Lowering the suspension on a hydrocit is easier than on any other car, if that's what you want to do, all you need is a spanner to loosen the clamp/link on the anti roll bars that control the height corrector's.
Front suspension, the top of the clamp needs to rotate towards the front of the car to lower it.
Rear suspension, the top of the clamp needs to rotate towards the rear of the car to lower it.
Only turn the clamp a degree or so at a time and put a mark on the clamp and the roll bar so you can reset it if need be.
If you do it yourself you must make absolutely sure it is safe to go under the car, which idealy means a proper car lift, anything less than this while carrying out such adjustments is very unlikely to be safe, <font color=red>YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED</font id=red>.
Dave
dougiefowler

Post by dougiefowler »

Thank you. Although I'm not doing it myself,I wondered of it could be done.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Another point is to have the wheel alignment checked by a competant wheel aligner after it's done. I adjusted a BX recently & trying to be a bit gung ho I set the front lower than the rear as the height correctors had been sticking and the car was sitting at a stupid snout up angle before I started which, although stable did tend to give the car a strange feel. I didn't have a wheel alignment done before I took the car on a 100 klms round trip. On the way home I hit 130kph as I was passing a bus and all of a sudden as I struck the draught off the bus, the car started to drift all over the road. Nothing I couldn't handle and a bit scarey for a while but it could have been a big event for someone with little experience or at a higher speed, so if you do this, just be sure that the steering is set up accordingly.
Alan S