Xantia rocker-cover sealer??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sbraud
My Cars:

Xantia rocker-cover sealer??

Post by sbraud »

Guys,
I’m about to replace my rocker-cover gasket for XU10J4, as original is leaking, after getting a new replacement from GSF. Both cylinder head and rocker-cover are aluminium and gasket it of a `rubber’ type plastic material.
The question is this, as I only want to do this once. Should I use a gasket sealer as well? If so, which one? Or will flexible plastic gasket be good enough the keep the seal?
Anyone been here? I know it’s an elementary question, but I’ve not sealed rocker-cover with two aluminium faces…
Image below – Fig 15 =Gasket
Cheers
Steve
Last edited by sbraud on 26 Aug 2006, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A gasket sealer wont help a new gasket.
The new gasket is designed to cope with the temperature differences and thus take up the shifting clearances over the engine's working temperature range.
Over time the gasket perishes, will be compressed and can no longer follow the clearance shifting - hence the leaking.
Just accept that nothing lasts forever.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Anders is right, I once tried to re seal it, and had to do it again and found that the excess silicone from the previos attempt was about to circulate around the oil system!
A new aftermarket gasket is £4.09 plus VAT.....hardly worth the effort otherwise?
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Steve,
I have just rebuilt my XU10J4D, its the older 2.0 16v engine (code is PSA RFT) and from your exploded diagram there, it only looks like the engine block is different and the head the same.
What I am really interested in is where you got that picture of the diagram from? The problem I have (see my other post) is that I am basically 99% complete with putting everything back together, but I need a diagram or picture of the pipework thats to the n/side of the block above the g'box, as its a little tricky to remember where all the bits got back.
Cheers
Adam.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

thats from PR-net http://www.citroen-pr.net/ its quite a good thing to have access to.
Andy
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

THanks for that Andy, thats great. Am tracking down the right diagram as I type!!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Anybody know the web address to the Peugeot version?? I wonder if you still have to pay for it, seeng as the Citroen one now seems to be free!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i am regiterd with cit pr.net as motor repairer,i dont pay any subs regards malcolm
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yea, I'm registered with them too, its just that I have Peugeots and not Citroens!!!
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Thanks Anders and John.
I was in two minds about this... seally as it sounds. [:o)][;)][:D]
Mind 1 – two
Mind 2 – Zero
Cheers guys.
Steve