Clicking sound from indicator relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

broders
My Cars:

Clicking sound from indicator relay

Post by broders »

While driving or sitting still there is a clicking sound from what I guess is the indicator relay. It sounds as if the indicator has been used but this happens intermitently and no indicator dash lights come on . Is the relay on its way out ?
1984 Citroen Xantia 1.8 petrol.
Thanks in advance
Broders
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Indicator stalk, a very common problem.
Wiggling the stalk lightly when it's clicking will confirm it. A new switch is the proper solution, not dear from the GSF shop.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I've had this problem on and off a couple of times on my 95 Xantia.
The first time it happened I had the the stalk replaced - the switch is pretty cheap, but it's an airbag-out job so you have to know what you're doing because those things carry a small explosive charge. I asked my garage to do mine.
The second time it happened, I just sat it out and it went away on its own! Apparently the problem can be caused by tiny fragments of copper dust getting onto the contacts. Some people have said that you can fix it for good by blowing compressed air into the switch, but that sounds to me as though it mught just as easily make a temporary problem permanent.
Very annoying, though, all the same. I take it that the indicators themselves aren't misbehaving? It's just the relay that's ticking furiously?
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

I concur with the last post... mine did this for about 6 months then stopped and has not returned 12 months later
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Same here. The clicking drove me mad for a month after I bought mine, but went away and never came back. Must have been happening cos the indicators hadn't been used in a while before I bought it.
broders
My Cars:

Post by broders »

Its not furiously but often enough to be a pest as I dont fancy all that air bag business I will try compressed air and contact cleaner.
Thanks to all for the replies. Going out now with contact cleaner will let you all know if any change to the problem, THANKS AGAIN Broders
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Had the same problem too a few years ago. It started as a minor annoyance and turned into a BIG scare. While driving, I turned so on goes the signal. After the turn while going straight, smoke began coming out of the steering column!
I got to my grandma's house (a block away thank God) and turned off the car. Dismantled the steering column covers and found
NOTHING.
So I went home with the fire extinguisher ready but until this date, no problems, only the lights on alarm (the one that sounds when you open the door with the lights on and the ignition off) does not work anymore.
broders
My Cars:

Post by broders »

Ok so in goes the contact cleaner via compressed air can. No real difference but prepared to wait and see, then while driving and seeing a friend driving the other way I flash the headlights to make myself seen, then as oscarloco found, smoke began coming out of the steering column!. The indicator stalk became very hard to use for indicating after the smoke and fire damage but working fine now apart from non cancelling when turning left. Oh by the way no more clicking sounds from relay phew . Thanks again all
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

what worries me with some of these posts is that smoke equals heat and heat can melt insulation. Even though things appear to be back to normal you could have exposed some of the wires to each other and have a major fire waiting to happen! If it was my car I would at least remove the shrouds and check that nothing was damaged: having had one dashboard fire I have become very nervous.....(but it wasn't on a citroen)
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I've had the whole clicking relay and smoke routine on a ZX a couple of years ago. Checked everything and the smoke came from the switch which had melted. Swapped it for one from a scrappy. And you can change it on a ZX without removing the steering wheel and airbag. However, this one went fairly soon afterwards so I had to do replace it again with a new one from GSF. So don't bother with a used one just get a new one!
Cheers
Duncan