ax on veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrbump
My Cars:

ax on veg oil

Post by mrbump »

Has anyone had sucess running the little 1.4d on veg oil? I ask because i have been 'reduced' to using one as my daily drive and 65mpg is just not cheap enough!!
It looks like the lucas type pump but slightly different.
Good little car i might add. Its fun having to really push it to keep up with other traffic!! Handles ok once you lean on it, but I am considering getting some bikers knee pads for the front mudflaps!!!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

It probably will be the Lucas pump. I dont think the AX ever got a Bosch unit.
I have run my AX on 100% SVO (Ran but didnt like it - very gutless) And have also run it on a 50/50 mix (when I too was brassic). However if its a Lucas pump not soething I would recomend long term as the high acidity content will eat away at the seals. Depends if you want to keep the car or not. Have a look through the search option for veg oil - reams and reams written about it including the legal aspect of its use...
<i>EDIT - Forgot to say - your fuel economy will suffer when running on SVO probably by about 10 MPG</i>
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Can I also just add that the type of veg oil you use will also have a bearing on your performance / economy. I also found that combustion was much quieter and smoother on V.O.
On my previous Xantia TD, I actually found performance and economy improved with various brands / types ( fresh from shop ).
Mat.
Oh, and if you've got a 1.4 expecting performance, then you made the wrong choice, the 1.5 is much better ( but still slow ! )
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Marty,
How much veg did you run through yours? In total?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I usually put a couple of litres in every so often ( usually when skint ). It usually burns last, so you know when you're running on vapour by the smell !
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Apparently veg oil can put a lot of strain on the lucas pump. This can break the pump according to what I have read. Make sure you do your research before you put a veg oil mix in. Do a search on http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php - it's one of the better sites I have found.