ZX suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thiscocksZX
My Cars:

ZX suspension

Post by thiscocksZX »

I have had a constant knocking sound coming from the near side front suspension of my ZX TD. It happens at all speed, most noticably gong about 30 on slightly rough roads. It also crashed quite badly under rebound eg, coming off a speed hump. I think it is to do with the roll bar conection/bearing because the actual shock seems ok when I push on the front of the car. I think it might be having an effect on the handling of the car too because pushing around any corner the back end seems really unsettled and can go into snap oversteer dangerously quickly (as I found out when I ended up facing the wrong way on a country road!)
Has any one had the same problem or know what it might be?
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

havin the same problem me self.posted this just last week,have lowered front by 35 m (havnt got round to the rear yet)and getting clunk from downward motion of shocks,both sides,more noticable when window is down,(cant hear it from inside car)drop links are fine,springs are correct fitment.tip,when it pushes the nose ,dont let off, steer in to it with full rite foot if i let off it kicks the back end out!!! handles totaly different from my last zx which didnt do this. it was a like a train on tracks!!! all bushes have been replaced good tyres so im mumfed too!!!
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

think you will find that it your drop links, had a similar noise on my zx and replaced these and it was fine.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usuly drop link or lower swivle regards malcolm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Aye the drop links....replaced mine last week....cant say i felt the car dangerous to drive...maybe your just going too fast
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stubbsy</i>

have lowered front by 35 m <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
35 Metres? Wow, that's *low* [:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that souds about right
thiscocksZX
My Cars:

Post by thiscocksZX »

Cheers guys, Sounds like me and stubbsy have a similar problem. Ill check the drop links.
Admittedly it is only dangerous handling when on the limit, but the ZX hanling does seem surprisingly snappy and quite unpredictable, which is not really very acceptable. I could be pushing just as hard, if not harder in my old 106 (only 1.1) and it was really progressive neutral hanling, and only over steered when really provoked, and even then was much more catchable than the ZX.(admittedly a smaller and lighter car though).
Dont get me wrong, I dont drive like a loon, but I like to get a move on when the road gets out of the city! (allowing for the usual mobile chicanes, usually with a BMW badge on it.)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

perhaps you have other things wrong,like knakerd shockers,clapped out rear arm bushes,or somthing along those lines,because it should stick to road like sh*t to a blanket regards malcolm