ZX Volcane ball joint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

ZX Volcane ball joint

Post by shezads »

I had a ball joint go on n/s/f - rattle. As I had changed the wishbones about a year previously with replacments for local motor factors, was unhappy as n/s/f ball joint knocking/rattle. The ball joints were riveted on - so could not change the ball joint itself. Suspected cheap parts - so I opted to change both wishbones with ball joints from gsf for official ones thinking that should resolve problem.
About 6 mths later - n/sf/ ball joint rattly again. (MOT failure) Took this back to local gsf - who said deifficult to say what failure is - but said garage not fitted correctly. As I didnt have reciept on me - I bought another ball joint and asked a different garage to fit this. The ball joint came loose after two weeks - but this was down to the garage not fitting a locking nut (nylon thred) - which the MOT guy pointed out.
Bought locking nut and screw from Citroen - garage rectified this - watched them fit ball joint (was not damaged) - tested by the garage - seemed fine.
Now approx 6 weeks later I am getting a rattle again!!
Yet to have a look - but sounds just the same when the bolt came loose. Only apparrant when braking hard / accelerating. It is the same side again n/s/f. I don't think its the engine mounts - sound coming from the n/s/f wheel. It is not rattlying over bumps yet - so I suspect the ball jpoint itself is ok - I think that bolt/screw may be coming loose - but will have to verify this.
Help!! I take it very easy over ramps - and other people dont seem to be going through ball joints as quick as this. Laser wheel allignment was carried out - showed no real problems with suspension.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If this is the situation : http://citroeny.cz/servis/zxser/predni_naprava.jpg - where item 4 is the balljoint,
- then it seems to me there should be 3 bolts with self-locking nuts - not just 1.
Try lock the nuts with a threadlock fluid (like LockTite hard). Works only on dry & clean threads.
shezads

Post by shezads »

Hi Thanks for the quick reply and the diagram.
This is getting weird...
When I had the ball joint replaced first time round - the MOT guy pointed out 3 normall bolts/screws (attachs joint to the wisbone)- thn one longer screw that attachs horizontly to the wishbone at the back - and its that one that needs the locking bolt - whereas the others (three attaching to ball joint) use (I think) - normal bolts.
Correct me if I'am wrong.
But looking at the diagram - that bolt is not shown/ does not seem to attach anywhere!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm not quite sure which bolt (or nut) you actually mean ?
Could you please try be 100% specific when you say "bolt" or "nut" [;)]
Is this diagram better to explain what you mean : http://citroeny.cz/servis/zxser/predni_stabilizator.jpg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, there are 4 bolts holding the balljoint on - the three vertical ones that go through the wishbone, and then a horizontal one that goes through the hub carrier. All should be fitted with Nylock nuts. It's possible that the hole in the hub carrier has gone oval, and whilst you can tighten the horizontal bolt OK to begin with which clamps the balljoint tight into the hub carrier, after a while it works loose and allows the ball joint to move up and down in the hub carrier. Try seeing if you can move the ball joint up and down in the hub carrier, or otherwise, knock the bolt out and see if the hole looks oval, or separate the ball joint from the hub carrier (not always easy!) and slide the bolt back in and see if it rocks up and down. If this is the case, then you will have to change the hub carrier to one without an oval hole!
PS did you get an advisory on the MOT on split wishbone bushes? This might cause the clonk on power on / power off, if it has subsequently broken through.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Are your strut top mounts OK?
shezads

Post by shezads »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

Are your strut top mounts OK?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not sure - will have to check this out - presumably this cause ball joint to loosen
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Not really, but will cause a clonk.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The bike pedal bolt [:D]
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks for the help guys, Will look into this tomorrow - when I get time.
I have also got to trace an air leak in fuel pipes - as I need to pump bulb for it to start in the mornings! I had changed the fuel return pipes then run from injector to injector 10 months ago!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

look at your engine stabalizer bush it may be knackerd so when torque is put on and off it causes it to knock,also if a garage did not fit swivel joint corectly they want reporting to regulating body,as this could cause a very bad accident regards malcolm
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Any bets on a worn balljoint hole in the hub?[;)]