accelerator cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieO

accelerator cable

Post by stevieO »

As the proud owner of a 94 1.9td xantia with 153k on the clock,I have this evening become the proud owner of another with 142k on it. Drove it for a test drive and it was mint, no oil leaks, suspension great and all the electrics work including all dash lights. The only fault I can find is that the accelerator cable is a little frayed at the end. Is this difficult to replace. All advice greatly recieved.
Xantia 1.9td 153K
Xantia 1.9td 142K
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I did the throttle cable on my 97 TD recently and it's an easy job. If you buy the full kit it's about 30 quid, though, which is a bit offputting if all you want is the inner. May be worth your replacing the outer anyway, if it's routed like mine was then it goes through a pretty sharp right-angle bend just above the radiator and wears out at that point.
Pete
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

the kit is excellent - the GSF one I used on our ZX even had a pot of oil!
i installed the whole thing on our ZX as my wife was complaining of hidden power! (1.9D) which seemed to be a sticking throttle. In fact I found the old outer was full of hardened granular lubricant. The only problem I had was at the pedal end - where you fit a lump of rubber - on Zx at least - and you need to cut it to get full movement - I didn't and had some fun getting it apart again - so look carefully.
Jeremy
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Using the inner from the kit (i think it was about £15 well worth it for all the spare bits)
Ten minutes start to finish including tea!!!!!Image
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Once again I read a set of posts on this board only to find I have the same problem/job to deal with! (Last time was LHM changes,now carried out with ease thanks to all of the experience of this community (I used brake cleaner to clean the filters- easy peasy!))
Now it is accelerator cables. Mine too is fraying and so I've just got the kit from GSF. All I have to decide is whether to just do the inner or the whole lot.........
Cheers
Duncan
PS If anyone can tell me what my next task will be I can start saving up now..........
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only prob with just replacing inner is the old inner will have worn grooves into the outer,so you may find it causes drag on inner cable regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ultimately the inner cable can wear a groove in the outer and the inner can get pinched! Have had this trouble on my MIG welder and I replaced inner and outer on the ZX because it was thought to be sticking. The dried up lubricant in the old outer might cause sticking as well.
The risk of grooving could probably be reduced by rotating the outer. Inner replacement is easy.
jeremy
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Job done! Timely too as only one strand of the cable was left. Did the inner and outer. Not the easiest job but fairly simlple. Any one know what the point of the black cylinder spring thing that the cable passes through is?
Cheers
Duncan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

black cylinder is damper,it takes up when pedle to the metal regards malcolm