Xantia 1.9TD 1997 Running On

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ItDontGo
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD 1997 Running On

Post by ItDontGo »

My dad's Xantia is struggling to start at the moment and ran on today as if he still had the key in it.
Sounds like a dodgy stop solenoid to me. I will check the wiring but I need to know whether it is replacable on this model and how easy it is. It has had the damned immobiliser immobilised!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you are right BUT - its not burning loads of oil is it?
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

your not ment to run them on parafin regards malcolm
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I think the running on and the struggling to start are seperate problems.
Starting issues are 90% dead glowplugs. Even one dead can cause nasty problems. After that, look at injectors, and possibly pump timing. Maybe air in the fuel.
Running on can only be caused by a dodgey stop solenoid. It sounds like it's not seating properly.
That said, it might be that the rubber seal on the end of the stop solenoid plunger has swolen, and is taking an age to open and close. I'd have the solenoid off and have a good look at the seal.
David.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Fast - you're probably right - I was wondering if the engine was knackered and low on compression - causing the cold start problem and fuming heavily - so it won't stop due to inhalation of oily fumes.
Unlikely as i know Xantia engines don't wear out.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Bad luck - if it's got an immobiliser then the injection pump has to come off to grind the security bolts out to remove the stop solenoid. Ouch. Sadly it does sound like the solenoid is on the way out - this is the only thing that can cause running on (other than aforementioned oil ingestion, but this would cause very rough running and lots of smoke).