ZX Replacement or repair...again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AthlonZX
My Cars:

ZX Replacement or repair...again

Post by AthlonZX »

Hi everyone
I've got a Citroen ZX Aura TD, which is probably in need of a new cylinder head, as my cooling system becomes pressurised with tiny bubbles (like fizzy pop) over time.
I do usually have a 'new car' crisis at least once a year (as regulars to the forum may know), but I am considering a swap as the following work is required:
1) New head - gasket and associated seals - definately
2) New cyclinder head - probably
3) New clutch cable (clucth stiff?)
4) Welding to driver's side wheel arch as there is a rather large hole next to my suspension mount ...spotted thanks to some research on this forum [:)]
Due to the fact that the cost doing the head-gasket could spiral into a new head, I'm honestlt considering a different car. I'd ideally want another zx, 306 or Xsara for around £1500 (no more as I'm still a student untill July!), but so far I've found finding a decent one locally (Derby) difficult.
My questions are:
1) How does the 1.4 petrol ZX compare with the 1.9TD (the only zx's within range of me that look ok are Petrol ones)
2) How much roughly for a new cylinder head if I opt to keep my current car?
Many thanks
AthlonZX (Dave)
Citroen ZX Aura TD K-1993 135100 miles [:)]
Citroen BX 16Valve - a graduation project...but I'm not done yet![B)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AthlonZX</i>

Hi everyone
I've got a Citroen ZX Aura TD, which is probably in need of a new cylinder head, as my cooling system becomes pressurised with tiny bubbles (like fizzy pop) over time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I wont answer your questions - just try kick in some common sense in your thinking.
1) If the HG is gone then you dont have that fizzypop after some time. You have more like a geyser if you remove the raditor cap (from cold) with engine running.
2) when HG is gone you dont replace the cylinder head. You remove cylinder head and get it skimmed (milled) then re-fit with a new gasket.
DIY on this would be some 1/10 of the "new" car in mind.
Panel welding should be considered a standard service cost on any car more than some 5years old.
The "new" car would give you peace in mind for some time - then it starts all over again - but you are set back by the initial cost - always [8)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with Anders. Welding won't cost much - you can buy your own MIG for £140 or less if you really want to (This is for one with gas - not to relieve the car's pain or yours for that matter but I don't think a gasless one will work on thin panels).
£1500 will buy you a ZX with a considerable mileage and little warranty. You will have no real idea of its history and while its bright and shiny and new to you that will wear off after 6 months. It will certainly not be a new car and there is no reason why it should be any better than the one you've got.
In any event when I buy something for that price range I still find I need to spend more on it to get it going the way I want it too. (EG our ZX 1.9D - very nice - 94 car 53500 miles purchased in 2003 for £1300 with new MOT - needed front brake pads, 2 front tyres, dashboard lamps, driveshaft, good service, thermostat and a mysterious fuel tank leak sorting out straight away. In fact been very good since.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have just replaced the head gasket on my XM 2.1 td, a pig of a job, far more difficult than your ZX but I have the satisfaction of knowing that I shouldn't get any more head problems for 100k or so, by which time I will have probably changed the car anyway. Total cost of the job including a genuine Citroen super dooper laminated steel head gasket, bolts etc about £100 + machining about £30.
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Ok thanks everyone I agree with what AndersDK is trying to say here, but the point I was wanted to make, was what if I do need to replace the cylinder head as well...it takes what I agree to be a realitively inexpensive job to a hugely expensive one (I was advised by a garage that as the bubbles are very small, and there's a build up over time it's likely to be a porus head). I'd happily put a new head-gasket on it, but ringing round for local prices, a new head is likely to bring the total cost to more than the car is worth, this is my dilemma. There are no exhaust gases in the coolant either (been tested), which just adds to the mystery.
AndersDK, it does fire Coolant out all the time, including when I'm driving (through the leak-off pipe)...and stays pressurised even when cold, but the initial flood of bubbles looks like fizzy pop with the cap off (sorry for the confusion). Because I only ever use it for short trips once a week, the problem has crept up gradually, rather than it might have done if I were using it every day.
As for a new car, I always budget for needing new clucth, brakes, tyres and exhaust from the get-go, I was considering a 1.4 petrol as the engine setup looks easier to work on (i.e. the whole engine isnt cantere back a in the engine bay like the diesels are).
Anyway thanks folks you've given me something to think about...and sorry for my long posts
Cheers [:D]
AthlonZX (Dave)
Citroen ZX Aura TD K-1993 135100 miles [:)]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

ok 2 things to do, 1 take some of the water out of your car and have it analised by a garage which will tell you if its the head, 2 check the water pump dosnet have a leak in it as this can do the same thing...
Andy
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Concerning the ZX 1.4 petrol...
A friend of mine has a ZX 1.4 and I also know a person who has a BX 1.4. Both are high mileage cars but have prooven to be very reliable.
Therefore, in case you cannot fix the TD, I think the ZX 1.4 petrol could be an interesting option to take in consideration, since it's within your budget.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Could ebay help? Plenty of 1.9 Turbo heads for under £30, or a brand new bare one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 15240&rd=1
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Also - Don't the petrol 1.4 ZXs suffer from ignition / coil pack / injection problems?
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

from all the ones's i've seen and the one i own, they mainly just have idling problems, apart from that i think zx1.4's great cars (could be biased as i have one and love its ride)
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

got a 95 zx 1.4i with 90,000 miles which is in nice nick. it had the hole sorted in the wheel arch under the power steering tank. its been a good car over the years never let me down once. might be up for sale soon to a good home. plus got full history right from day one. No expense spared maintainance wise.
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

Geeze, where do you guys go shopping??
When I sold my 1.9TD ZX Memphis (N) last year I did so for a grand and it was cracking, the L reg 1.9D with 70K I bought for mother cost £455 and sailed through an MOT
Personally I'd forget about a 306 as the ZX is the same but cheaper IMHO and as you're saving money stay cheaper and avoid the xsara (not that I've got anything against it)
Mechanically the boys have answered your questions...personally it's a lot of fannying on to fix the engine, clutch and hole, and if you're not quite sure what you're doing leave it be.
My advice is to go and check out some ZX's and find a nice one granny owner TD going for tuppence and bully the price down, bit of leg work but it's cheap, you'll have a car full of spares it'll save you money and give you more time to drink beer and chase women, jobs a gud un!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Dave,
I've got a good engine and box showing 120k (no signs of HG probs, pulls like a good un with no smoke). Needs a new cambelt and sump gasket, both easy with the lump out. Advantage is it comes with a complete car wrapped around it, and the rear brakes were overhauled only a couple of 000 miles ago. MOT runs out beginning of June. Disadvantage is I'm in Lanark (near Glasgow)... Couple of hundred quid to drive it away.
Welding the hole in the wing on my 'better' one is only costing about £40 so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Guy at garage said "Ah, where they all go" so it's obviously common!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

AthlonZX- I think you are being unnessecarily worried here!! Whats your car worth, a K reg ZX??
Answer, very little, so why worry? so as long as its running just drive it till it drops and THEN decide whether to fix it or scrap it!!!
The head gasket may or may not have started to go, whatever, you certainly shouldn't need a new head, just a skim and gasket, and although its a lot of scarey looking dismantling its a nut and bolt job, with nothing particularly complicated about it and the most expensive item, your time, comes free!!!!
I weouldn't worry about the heavy clutch either, as long as it works. The one on my BX is stiff and heavy but I have got used to it-it ain't broke yet so I haven't fixed it.
Regarding the hole in the wing, either buy a mig and have a go yourself or pay a mobile MOT repair welder to come and do it-its a small job to them and if you do all the preparation yourself-paint stripping, metal cleaning, etc, it'll be cheaper.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

I too suffer the bubble effect, suspected head gasket but no water in oil, and no exhaust gases in coolant so reckon that HG is ok. Changed the Thermostat, seemed to cure the problem, but noticed it has recently been expelling small amount of coolant out of rad exp tube (into pop bottle) so will change the radiator as told this more likely to be the culprit now. (looks dodgy at the base anyway and weather is better now allowing swap) rad and thermostat est £150 + new coolant, with DIY fit.
My coolant seems to remain at first ridge on rad expansion tank (as look from top), if top up above this, only squirts it out - natural level ? as no min/maxmarkings on exp tank that i can see. how much coolant u loosing ?
I intend to keep mine for a bit, but not going to throw too much money at it now, had to replace front brakes(upgraded - calipers disks and pads), rear axle mounts, both HB cables, general maintence oil/fuel filters etc. know what work i have had to do on car, so not too much worry about. if goes bang, then, so be it (rather it didn't hence radiator is next.....but se'la've)
I would keep car, get hole welded and as long as maintained ok, shouldn't be an issue, y throw money away when u don't have to.