Xantia Hi-Rider?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Hi-Rider?

Post by CitroJim »

So there I was, on a long journey in the Xantia, it happily munching up the miles and spitting them out in little chunks and me happily enjoying the comfort and listening to a few choice 70's MP3s on a little MP3 player plugged into the CD Jack of the wireless. [8D]
Into this picture of coziness and contentment came another rather attractive Xantia in a deep red-brown metallic which overtook me. It bore the rather intriguing registration of T111 TTT. What was more intriguing however was it's ride height. It was riding so high at the back I could almost see it's spheres.. [:0]
Now, it was knocking on at a fair old pace and going around corners seeming rather rather well. When I could see the car broadside on, I noticed the front was equally high.
Is this an Activa in "Sport mode" or was the driver acting like his registration thinking that having the suspension set high would help handling or had he become interrupted during a bout of Citarobics and forgot to reset the ride height?
Personally, I would have thought runnng at speed on what looked near full height would have been extemely uncomfortable with nearly nil suspension travel and handling would have suffered but as I'm new to the would of Xantias I don't know. Any views?
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I've had a similar experience. Some pillock in a blue Xantia (I've seen it parked up in Stretford) was rolling along the M602 at 65mph with the ride on full height. I could see the car juddering around, clearly not at all stable. I just blasted past him as quickly as possible feeling rather scared!!! A week later I saw it parked up on a street in Stretford still set to the highest position... Some people just shouldn't be allowed hydraulic suspension. I mean wtf? Are they pretending they are riding in a 4x4 or something??
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't think that the drive shafts would last long driven in hat mode, or the drive shaft boots even less long. You could get the same sort of ride by fitting low profile tyres!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I dont think you could make the ride that bad purely with low profile tyres, it wouldnt come close you'd suffer over small bumps but you'd still have the travel there for pot holes and big bumps.
I do see loads of Xantias driving about with the suspension not working, too high, too low or flat spheres. After owning 2 Xantias I can diagnose them from the way they bounce over bumps.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The rear height corrector problem seems to be a favourite, I've seen lots of Xantias with the rear at either maximum or minimum height.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, according to the RAC website, what you saw was a Xantia TD Temptation, remarkable !
Like Kowalski, I ( sadly ) find myself diagnosing problems on Xantias as they drive by. The usual "Lighting up the moon", or the equally common "Lets look at the tarmac !" rear height corrector issues, also creaking from the arms, or seeing an anti-sink xantia sunk !