1.5d radiator / air lock?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

1.5d radiator / air lock?

Post by shezads »

Can someone tell me how to bleed air from a 1.5d engine 106/saxo/ax.
Fitted a new radiator on a friends car - bled air out - filled with coolant/water - but bottom right of radiator does not get warm.
Heater inside warms up, so indiates coolant is cirulating - no temp needle - so cannot see if thermostat is opening.
I only saw one cleed valve on top left of engine - on a return hose. Radiaitor did not seem to have a air bleed valve.
Original radiator and a drainige screw on the bottom - replacement doesnt.
Any ideas?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

There is a bleed bolt on the 1.4 water pump. Facing upwards.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When you refilled the reservoir did you use a header tank as you bled out the air. You can make a header tank by cutting the bottom out of a suitably sized plastic bottle and making a leak-proof joint in the neck of the filler. Keep the header tank filled with water as the engine ticks over, with the bleed screw open.
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

There is probably no fault. This engine produces very little heat in relation to the radiator size, and the thermostat is probably (correctly) shut. PSA improved the coolong system on the TUD engine compared with the air lock prone XUD to the extent that it is largely self-venting, via the small hoses to the header tank from the cylinder head and the radiator.
As long as you have bled the one vent screw in the make-up pipe near to where it runs over the RH engine mount, all should be well.
rotodiesel.