Rear door / Interior light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Rear door / Interior light

Post by user_3150 »

Morning everyone, I have asked this question before and at the time was told if you can live with it leave it alone. At the time I could but now since moving house the door is being used all the time. Right the problem is that the rear O/S door doesn't activate the interior light's. I can't see anything that trigger's them so I am assuming it's linked to the lock mechanism. Has anyone tackled this problem or am I going to be the first. I would just like some advice as I hate removing door card's as the clips break and the never go back on as well as they came off e.t.c.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Every interior light I've seen is simply operated by a push switch in the door hinge face. Citroen ones are black plastic and are fixed with a single screw and sometimes have a rubber gasket and cost about £1.50 from GSF.
Find the switch, unscrew it and take it out. there should be a single wire on the back. Earth this wire to the bodywork and the light should come on. The switches usually last about 8 or 10 years, you may be able to clean your oldone or alternatively its earth may need a clean.
jeremy
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The post facelift cars (1998 onward) have no such switch.
The interior lights are controlled by the "body computer" (I think that's what the BOL calls it).
I believe they do inded work off the door locks. The subject has been discussed before, a search might come up with something.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Didn't realise the Xantia suffered from one of those - oh well - was intending to keep the BX for another 5 years - looks as though it'll have to last 10! Perhaps by then we can buy the kit to deal with the things for a few quid.
jeremy
dieselxantiaman
My Cars:

Post by dieselxantiaman »

Does your central locking work?
I ask because when I used to pull the fuse to lock the doors manually (hopefully a replacement door lock has cured the car unlocking itself) the o/s rear wouldn't operate the interior light and the n/s one would cause the light to flash
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Hi, Cheer's for the replies. The central locking does work and all the other door's bring om the light. I did try a search but didn't get far. I will try again. In the mean time any advice will be apreciated and when I get round to doing it I will let you all know.
johnny
My Cars:

Post by johnny »

Had the same problem on my Xantia 90 HDI.
Eventually found the problem to be a broken wire inside the flexible rubber between the centre pillar and the door.
Bit of a pain to get at but fixed the problem
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

NUT'S I missed your reply Johnny and just spent the last 2 hours removing the door card and getting the lock out only to find it can't be stripped (not without it falling apart anyway). I will check the wire's and if I find no problem I will get a door lock from a scrappy. I will let you know how I get on. Bet it's the wire's though AAAHHHH!!!