River damage!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Before going the whole hog and replacing the motor, I would at least take the head off first anf give it all an eyeball.
You can spin the motor over and see if the pistons all go up and down as they should. They should all reach TDC at the same height and if they do then you can rule out a bent or broken conrod. if that checks out o.k. then you may have been lucky and got away with a couple of bent valves, which with the head off you will be able to check for and sort.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

98 Xantia, 4 gears?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry! I missed the "auto"
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Dont forget to drain the gearbox too, they are prone to flood damage.
Stewart
samcro

Post by samcro »

Have a mate with a 306 1.9td who went through a deepish puddle. The car kept going OK for a while after until it dropped a valve. It seems that the vavle stem got fractured with the water entering the engine but didn't actually break until a while later. Result was a bent con rod and damaged cylinder bore. So, even though the engine might seem OK there may be hidden damage somewhere.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I'm always reluctant to assume the worst. A compression test may tell a lot.
When my DS sank into the sandy bottom of the Daintree River, water got into the engine oil. Removed oil filter, flushed briefly with light oil, and then installed new filter and engine oil. 120,000 miles later, the engine was still like new. Mind you, I've yet to experience hydraulic lock, and I now put my chains on BEFORE taking the car through a river bottom.
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Check your insurance to see if you have a protected bonus: it is almost standard now in some cases. If so, claim will cost you nothing now and nothing later. If not, junk the engine or the car
peter1138
My Cars:

Post by peter1138 »

Protected NCB means you won't lose your bonus. However, you'll still be lumbered with a higher premium for having made a claim...
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peter1138</i>

Protected NCB means you won't lose your bonus. However, you'll still be lumbered with a higher premium for having made a claim...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah thats the thing with this protected no claims, hyou still have to declare any details of any accidents/claims youve had so still end up paying extra. I dont think the protected ncb is worth it to be honest.
Cheers
Paul
sheldon6

Post by sheldon6 »

Having carefully considered all the options such as the cost of fitting an engine £200-£300 then having to source said item £500 i have decieded to give mr insurance company a call, they are collecting the car tommorow. the other factor was that all of the carpets are soaked. thanks again for all of your help and if anyone knows of a nice hdi exclusive estate let me know!!!!!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Let us know the outcome.