Xantia problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pantherd90

Xantia problems

Post by pantherd90 »

Ok, Noticed today when starting the Xantia (1993 TD LX) and giving the Windscreen a slight wash that windscreen wiper fluid wasn't reaching the nozzles and was instead spraying all over the side of the car. On closer inspection it appears the clear plastic tube just before reaching the first nozzle is broken, clean snapped almost as if cut. Either way I need to replace it now and I'm curious how does one go about this? The pipe appears to go down into the engine/under the windscreen and I don't know how to reach wherever it connects to and change it. I'm also slightly worried that with it spraying all over the area under the bonnet it came from it might have damaged anything electrical. Is there any chance of this? And how should I replace the pipe and what with?
Next in relation to windscreen washer nozzles/pipes is the rear windscreen wiper doesn't supply any water at all, or very little, I think the metal part is blocked in some way, Any advice on what could be the problem? (I'll try and give more info on the symptoms after I've had another look)
My other problem of sorts is the drivers side brake light isn't working, I have a bulb so will try changing it today, but I fear it could be electrical as I have recollections of problems with it occuring before.
When opening the boot to look at the brake light I found the boot was stiff and slow to open, I believe this to be the struts, should I try new struts or just give them a little greasing?
Final niggle is one the car has had since I got it (5 years ago), occasionally I get the "water in fuel" warning light coming on, seemingly without reason it just lights up, I've had it checked at the garage before, but they didn't/couldn't sort it, it's not really an issue but I'd be interested to know what could be causing it.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Try greasing the bootlid struts (grease dont cost annything, new struts do!). As long as you have emptied the diesel fuel filter of water I wouldent worry to much - my 1993 Xantia turbo diesel has the same problem of the water in filter light illuminating. This sensor is renowned for illuminating on and off and is a common problem. If you find out why your rear wash aint working I would like to know, as mine dont emmit fluid either (I can hear the pump running but no w/w fluid). I dismantled it and found rust inside the wiper spindle - could explain why.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

P.S to change the tubing for the washer fluid - unclip the pipe from the washer jet (your one has broke) then using aluminium tape SECURELY tape about 6' of new tubing to the end, unplug the other end from the pump and GENTLEY pull the pipe through - DONT YANK IT THROUGH. Cut off the excess (once you have measured it) and job done. Hope this helps [8D]
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

Ok Brake light sorted (changed bulb, nice and easy if a bit time consuming). Will see about wd40ing boot struts later, it's not too bad at the moment and struts don't really look all that bad so I'll leave it for a bit.
Glad to hear some info on the water in the fuel light. I'll update on the Washer/wiper details later.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by j_roc</i>

P.S to change the tubing for the washer fluid - unclip the pipe from the washer jet (your one has broke) then using aluminium tape SECURELY tape about 6' of new tubing to the end, unplug the other end from the pump and GENTLEY pull the pipe through - DONT YANK IT THROUGH. Cut off the excess (once you have measured it) and job done. Hope this helps [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
On mine theres a non-return valve about half way along it's length concealed under the wing midshield.
The "j_roc method" works a treat if first you slip the mudshield off. I recomment you replace the valve whilst you're at it. Mine was knacked and they only cost a couple of quid. I think this valve being knacked may cause your rear washer to put very little water out too...