ax running.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

ax running.

Post by tris »

Hi,
Today I drove into town and noticed that the engine revs stayed high, as if the choke was on, even tho the engine was now warm. Following this were a few judders. By the time I decided it was time to go home, the engine revs were going up and down, kind of vroom vroom vroom, like there was a small pixie under the bonnet jumping up and down on the accelerator cable.
Hmmm, i thought. I opened the bonnet and twiddled a few cables. Decided to disconnect the cable to the rear of the injector assembly, this made the engine cut out, but also made a little buzzing noise, like it was resetting. I recconected and restarted the engine. Its running ok now, but tickover still seems a tad nifty. Any ideas? A dodgy sensor maybe? Its been fine up till now, with the choke going off within a few minutes. Im quite annoyed now, not due to the engine, but due to the fact that when i closed the bonney, the headlight glass dropped out and smashed on the tarmac, oh joy!
My car is a '93 ax debut.
regards,
Tris.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Mine used to rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die, sorry where was I oh yes, then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die etc...
That turned out to be due to the throttle solenoid. It also made it really jerky downshiftinh.
tris

Post by tris »

Since fueling up the running has been fine. Could the symptoms have been of low fuel?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die then rev then die etc...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think that's known as "hunting".. or in your case, "serious hunting"!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My BX sometimes does that when the fuel is low and I visit a mate who lives up a very steep long hill, if I have more than a quarter of a tank of fuel it doesnt do it, its likely to be pulling an air/fuel mix from the tank.
Stewart
tris

Post by tris »

yeah thats probably it then. its been fine since.
Any of you guys know anything about the new twist and go vespas?? My sis's scoot has no spark.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what usuly causes revs to go up on petrol injetion car is air leak in the induction not in fuel supply,air in fuel supply would make it missfire,as fuel supply is presurized and must maintain this presure.Check all vaccum pipes and inlet manifold for leaks regards malcolm
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

My problem was the throttle sticking open a bit and the ECU cutting the fuel or injection as the idle speed was too high.
That sounds odd but it used to take a while to realise it had a problem. Hmmm I'm not explaining it very well am I.
It was supposed to be a self-learning ECU which reset after the battery was disconnected but I remember thinking it only learned how to p*ss me off. By the way kids *=i
tris

Post by tris »

the car is being a right bugger as recently the problem has come back and seems to be permanent. The choke comes on as normal when cold then onced warmed the engine revs up and down continuously making it a bit difficult to drive! Juddering high idle and sometimes there is giant flat spot!
Decided to have a quick look earlier.. on first inspection a little oily, but nothing excessive. Got my handy torx kit out and started to have a play. What is the component on the right hand side? there seems to be some adjustment via rotation. I tried this with the engine running and i can either get no hunting with rough idle, or no hunting with the engine revving its nuts off. So decided to put back to normal. So, engine is still hunting and using more fuel than normal. Tbh I dont wanna drive it till its fixed as driving around with the choke on all day cant be that good for the engine, let alone the catylist. But work is a good 15 miles and I'm on call. Any more ideas guys? Throttle doesnt seem to be sticky, throttle body now very clean with thanks to carb cleaner. Im thinking airflow/temp sensor fault?? Where are they locateed, as there are a few ax's, 106's in the local breakers which I could swap parts with.
Regards Tris. (still the same '93 ax debut)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check for air leaks around all vaccum pipes and manifold regards malcolm
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

My mate had this problem on his BX GTI 4x4.
That was a broken throttle body