ZX central locking -- on and off no more (I hope)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Forth
My Cars:

ZX central locking -- on and off no more (I hope)

Post by Forth »

Problem of central locking -- the locks clunking on and off repeatedly of their own accord, and finally not working at all on the back doors -- seems to have at last been sorted on my "R" reg ZX TD sx .....
<b>Three wires</b> in the loom <b>get combined into one</b> joint and one of them had gradually broken off, making a variable and intermittent contact in the process. This had eventually caused the control unit behind the dashboard) to fail. A replacement unit had also failed (though it may have been a bit weak to start with). With the wiring fixed, a third unit, second-hand, is now functioning correctly.
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Where is the joint? My ZX does the same. Ta
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Behind the dashboard, next to the steering column. From my own poking around I had thought that the culprit was on the passenger (left) side behind the glovebox, but having finally got the locking sorted the mechanic indicated the connection breakage was in fact nearer to the control box (ie. to the immediate right of the steering column). Everything was back in place by the time I collected the ZX late on Friday (and there wasn't time to chat more as I was removing a few bits off a scrapped Xantia) but I'll probably be speaking with him on Monday so will get a more precise location then.