Hydraulic Pipe End Fitting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zzf00l
My Cars:

Hydraulic Pipe End Fitting

Post by zzf00l »

Xantia 1.9TD 1999
Hi.
Just replacing split hydraulic pipe between hydraulic pump and hydraulic pressure regulator. (Haynes P.9.2 drg.2.1 and 3.8 refers)Believe that it is the high pressure pipe not the return pipe and am finding it impossible to stop it leaking at the regulator end. Am now wondering if it should have a rubber seal (drg. 3.8)even though one didnt emerge when removing the old pipe. Stuck at the moment so any advise would be much appreciated.
Cheers Ian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Must be a seal there allright.
The pipe is a 6.3mm - get a pipe seal at your nearest GSF or Cit dealer for a couple of pennies.
Remember :
ALWAYS fit the LHM wetted seal on the pipe end - and THEN fit both in the pipe port.
There is a fair chance the old seal is still located - and penetrated (damaged) - in the regulator port. The seal is damaged by the sharp pipe end when inserted before the pipe.
When the seal is working OK you only have to nip up firmly - NEVER torque - the pipe union.
Take care to fine-shape the pipe run such the pipe enters the pipeport extremely squarely.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes all high pressure pipes use the same type of seal - a rubberlike cylinder (looks like a bit of cut off tube!
my guess is that your old one is still in there - they can be very difficult to get out especially if they have been in there for a long time and have done what they are supposed to do which is expand. When you get it out you will probably find it looks as though it has threads cut into it.
I use a bit of strongish wire or whatever similar with the end bent in the form of a barb. The ideal is to push it into the hole in the seal so that it goes right through and the barb latches into the seal - then give it a good pull and the seal should come out - easier than digging away with a screwdriver.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry but some xantias do have covensionale type flared end on insted of the normal end that citonees are used to,yes i was flabergasted to when i first saw this,also i do find when seal put on pipe first it rides up pipe on trying to fit regards malcolm
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Thanks guys..... off to GSF in the morning then!
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Hmmm not quite what I expected..... fashioned a suitable hook and went fishing in the regulator port and out came what appears to be one half of the pipe flared end and a small 'O' ring!!! any thoughts???
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/H ... aulics.pdf
bottom page 9 in this document shows a typical Citroen hydraulic pipe connection in schematic form.
The situation shown is a bit exaggerated to clarify the situation. At "c" the pipe end is forced into the bore with it's original diameter. Right before here you can see the pipe end expanded a wee bit - surrounded by the compressed seal.
It must be the old pipe end you have got out then ? Any O-ring is wrong here. It must be a tubular seal.
BTW : it just springs to mind. Are we talking the same thing when you say "regulator" ? This is the device shown top of page 9 in above document.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Thanks Anders but the link appears to be dead....appreciate your assistance
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Anders, I mean regulator as in where the Accumulator Sphere attaches below and to the left of the air filter box!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OK ... link not dead ???
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Still sruggling to open the link, i'll persevere
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Link works, but it is a direct link to a .pdf file. You will need acrobat reader or similar installed to be able to read it.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Phew! Got it at last.....decided to print it so I can read at my leisure
Cheers Guys
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as i said earlyer some of the pipe ends on xantias are flared may be just pump end regards malcolm
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Had to order part from Cit Dealer today, they are adamant that there is no rubber seal!!!