Vegetable Oil ?????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

I only put a few litres of veg oil in tank as I am told it benefits the engine.
The only info I can see on the pump is Made in Germany
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Just how do you go about paying the appropriate TAX on vegetable oil if your going to use it in your car? I would do it if I saved 5 p pr more per litre just to be environmentally friendly. I know you can do it illegally at 47 p a litre but I really wouldnt risk that. Youd get into some serious trouble if found out I imagine and its rather unfair on other motorists that pay their taxes. If you could buy wholesale, what level of TAX would you have to pay? Is it just VAT or some sort of fuel TAX at a higher rate, or both? If I can find out, and it comes to less that 80 p a litre I would consider it, providing there is no chance of wrecking the engine. Does anyone know the ins and outs of all this- I know they had something about it on Top Gear a while back but I missed that episode. Cheers, Adam
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

If you do a search for vegetable oil on this forum you'll pretty well cover the whole subject. I think in one post there is even the email address of the Customs and Excise functionary who deals with the issue. But rest assured that the eventual cost of doing it legally will be the same as buying straight derv, plus you will have high transaction costs in terms of form-filling, record-keeping etc - a disincentive to using veg oil. The govt doesn't want you using veg oil as it makes huge tax revenues from hydrocarbons, and the oil industry certainly doesn't want you using veg oil.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

From www.dieselveg.com
It is very simple to pay fuel tax on vegetable oil, if you are buying or producing yourself, you can contact Customs and Excise on 0845 0109000 to become your own licenced fuel supplier, basically you request a form EX103, fill it in and return, you will be issued your registration number, they then send you a monthly form ho930, you fill in how many litres used and send a cheque multiplied by 27.1p per litre for each litre indicated. It is entirely self policing. If you buy from licenced fuel suppliers, such as ourselves, there is no need to register. Hopefully a countrywide network will shortly follow.
Rory
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Rory, I have downloaded an EX103 but I cannot find anywhere on the web that gives any guidence as to how to complete it. Considering the number of people who claim to be C&E registered, I find this strange. I don't want to go to the trouble of filtering WVO - just simply be legal to use SVO when I want.
Are you able to offer any advice as to how to complete the EX103 for SVO use?
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Dave
Afraid not - like you, I suspect, I'm just getting to the point where I'm beginning to think that it may be worth giving SVO a go for any one of a number of reasons from environmental to cost but probably mostly just for the hell of it. I just need to get round to phoning the 0845 number at some stage.
Rory
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

In reply to drpau.. I just had this e mail from Mike at Smartveg.com
Common-rail Conversions
-----------------------
The engines themselves are fine - its the electric in-tank fuel lift pump that presents the challenge. These have shown themselves to be intolerant
to veg oil; the higher viscosity causes rapid failure. In some cases, with Citroen vehicles in particular, these pumps have even failed on diesel. It is therefore necessary to use diesel exclusively in the vehicle's original tank and run veg in the auxiliary.
The vehicle's ECU will also highly likely be expecting to see an injection pump inlet pressure of around 3-5psi, generated by the lift pump.
Therefore, when running on veg oil, this condition needs to be replicated.
It is not particular difficult to do, with an additional veg-tolerant lift pump and flow regulator, but I'm sure you'll agree, this type of engine modification is getting beyond all but the most experienced and confident DIY'er.
It is for the above reasons that we normally highly recommend a common-rail be brought to us for modification.
They have converted a few Hdi engines and have a Berlingo running as part of their testing programme .
Hope this is helpful
Chris