Xantia 1.9 TD Aux Drive Belt Tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paul2309
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 TD Aux Drive Belt Tensioner

Post by paul2309 »

Thought it was time I put something back into this forum as it's been no end of help to me.
I started to get a rattle at low revs 1100-1700 from the aux drive belt on my Xantia. Investigation, ie., removing the belt, proved that it wasn't any bearings etc.
Got a new belt and fitted it but had a hell of a job trying to do it according to Haynes. ie. Move the pre-tensioner till you can insert a rod through the holes, then adjust the belt till you can remove the rod.
Couldn't find the hole, so adjusted the belt by hand feel, but still had the rattle. Noticed that the pre=tensioner roller was bouncing back and forth when it was rattling so last night, I decided to take it off and have a look at it.
What a job to get it off. Managed to undo the Allen bolts using various home made adaptors etc., but then couldn't get it out. Thought if I loosened the hydraulic pump I might lift it out the top. Nnoooo.
Finally managed to get it out by removing the cranckshaft pulley, lower timing belt cover, and then undoing the rear engine mounting nuts till there was no spare thread showing above the nuts. This lets the engine drop a little and gives just enough room to get it out.
Having got it off, found the rubber insert shot, and this was causing it to be very flexible, which was causing it to bounce.
Have now welded it fixed with the holes that you are supposed to put the rod through, in line, so the pulley is in the right position, then adjusted the belt. Rattle cured.
Hope this helps anybody else who has to get one of these tensioners off.