Xantia Towbar electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Towbar electrics

Post by CitroJim »

I'm about to fit a towbar on my Xantia Hatch... Got a nice Witter one and it looks quite straightforward from a mechanical point of view.
Where is the best place to tap the loom for wiring the 12N (road lighting)socket?
Thanks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You should be able to find a dedicated wire complete with a plug that will fit in the rear plug arrangement in the near side rear light unit. You will then find that the car rear foglight doesn't work!
The reason is that Citroen intend you to use a special light socket that has a switch in the relevant pin which turns off the foglight when the trailer is plugged in! On my BX this caused me hours of fun working out what was happening and I bodgelocked a jumper from the trailer wire to make the car lights work and save having to dismantle it before MOT's.
Jeremy
Stabs
My Cars:

Post by Stabs »

The same fog light switch caught me out. I spent hours with the Haynes manual (which doesn't mention it) wiring diags trying to work that one out.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When I did my Xantia, I took the two seven core wires through the boot floor then stripped off the covering to connect each cable of the 12N to the rear of each bulb with scotchlocs. The 12S was done in a similar manner.