CV Boot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ItDontGo
My Cars:

CV Boot

Post by ItDontGo »

Hi all.
The CV boot on the AX has torn spreading grease everywhere. Although the joint is fine the fact the grease has gone everywhere makes me this it could do with some being fed back into it.
My question is what is the best way to sort this problem. New boot or one of those one size fits all boots? New shaft?
I'm thinking the grease is going to get filthy if I just cover the hole with one of those pull-over jobs as it will get dirt on it from the outside of the original boot.
Also if I change the boot is it difficult to separate the CV joint on an AX? Do you just whack it with a hammer?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

From what I remember, the joint can't be split from the shaft to replace the boot in the traditional way, which would mean the best way is to replace the shaft.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it's any help, I just fitted a new boot to my 16V. The Bx for some reason (in Australia anyway) have a horrendous reputation of blowing CV boots. This is possibly the 4th I've replaced in about 20K klms which is bloody ridiculous and other owners have told me they have the same problems in fact one owner reckons he allows for a couple of new boots every year as part of routine service.[:(!] Nobody can give a feasible reason for it, however I met a guy who owns a 16V who is also a rep for a company who import a stretch type from Germmany and he reckons he's had these on his (high mileage) BX16V for a few years without any problems so I've tried one.
Bugger of a thing to fit as you need to use a fitting cone sprayed profusely with silicone spray and in my case it was an outside one so had to be fitted inside out and reversed and trimmed once on, but it looks the goods and they reckon that due to it being so flexible, well more so than the original, it should last.
Time will tell, but much cheaper than a new driveshaft I'm sure, and as a bonus, much cheaper than an original boot.
Alan S
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If you catch this CV joint before it gets too much road crud in it, it will probably be fine, but even a day of driving around with a boot that bad will mean grit will have gotten in there. If it's still OK, then you can remove the shaft, wash out the joint in Diesel/parafin/etc, re-grease, and fit a new boot. Otherwise, new shaft.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

If it's any help, I just fitted a new boot to my 16V. The Bx for some reason (in Australia anyway) have a horrendous reputation of blowing CV boots. This is possibly the 4th I've replaced in about 20K klms which is bloody ridiculous and other owners have told me they have the same problems in fact one owner reckons he allows for a couple of new boots every year as part of routine service.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It must be the quality of the replacement boots. My BX has done 280,000kms and I've never needed to replace a driveshaft boot. Though at about 250,000kms I replaced the LHS driveshaft as one of it's joints disintigrated (though the boot itself is still intact and ok).
seeya,
Shane L.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

The outer CV joint on the AX shafts isnt removable. To change the boot you have to loosen the inner CV boot, withdraw the inner CV off of the splines, remove the inner CV boot and slide the outer CV boot off the long way! Really a bloody awful task that I hate - mainly due to the inner CV boot and protective cylinder arrangement. The replacement boots I have brought (from many different suppliers) have always been much thinner than the Xantia ones feel. As a result they seem to fail fairly regularly.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Just wipe the grease off, put some fr in and fit a split boot kit, it'll be fine!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I used a split boot kit on my AX - cheating but did do the job. Dont expect it will last as long as the original though.
The BX boots look to be OE and have done 156K miles.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

"Bugger of a thing to fit as you need to use a fitting cone sprayed profusely with silicone spray"
Had to do this on the Reflex....took agesss